I am trying to reset windows xp back to original settings but I am missing the file winnt32.exe. Where can I go to get the download

Anonymous
2012-02-25T21:56:09+00:00

I do not have winnt32.exe in the i386 folder. My computer acts very strange at times. It drags, freezes, and loads things I do not click on.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-12T23:22:01+00:00

You can download the IT version of service pack 3 from HERE. Save it to your desktop. Use a file extraction software such as WnRar to extract the service pack 3 file that you downloaded to extract the files to C drive. Once the files have been extracted click Start > Run and paste the below command > Click Ok. This should install recovery console.

C:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

Also, the i386 folder will contain the winnt32.exe file you were asking for.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-08T15:49:44+00:00

    Interesting. :-)

    So you might have an old PC case, but everything else inside it might be newer!

    Since your son built this, you should ask him.

    Otherwise, you can open it up and identify the parts (they should all have labels on them).

    You could also run a program like Belarc Advisor:

    http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

    You can give us the information from the report EXCEPT your Product Keys!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-08T11:07:36+00:00

    I did not buy this from a store. My son had given it to me and said that he rebuilds computers. I am waiting to find out if this is true of this one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-08T11:03:15+00:00

    I do not know if there are original parts inside. My son had said that he would take old computers and put new parts in them. How would I find out if this is true of this one?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-06T20:19:27+00:00

    Thank you Davee for picking up for me. I have been busy with my real job.. Good advice from you as always.

    Hi Kathrine.. If you are wanting to upgrade to Windows 7 you will need a different desktop computer since the one you have, as noted by Davee, came with Windows 98 and will not support Windows 7. While I never use MS Answers to promote my business I will tell you that you should not go to any of the big retail geek stores to buy a computer. They are waaaay over priced and you can get a great computer custom built for less than half what they charge.. I would be happy to show you some examples of what I mean if you are interested in seeing them. You can click the live chat button on my website and I will give you the links.

    Repair-Bots Online

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments