I am trying to reset windows xp back to original settings but I am missing the file winnt32.exe. Where can I go to get the download

Anonymous
2012-02-25T21:56:09+00:00

I do not have winnt32.exe in the i386 folder. My computer acts very strange at times. It drags, freezes, and loads things I do not click on.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-12T23:22:01+00:00

You can download the IT version of service pack 3 from HERE. Save it to your desktop. Use a file extraction software such as WnRar to extract the service pack 3 file that you downloaded to extract the files to C drive. Once the files have been extracted click Start > Run and paste the below command > Click Ok. This should install recovery console.

C:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

Also, the i386 folder will contain the winnt32.exe file you were asking for.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-13T04:06:43+00:00

    Thank you for all your time and patience with me. I already have sp3. Thanks again. Have a good evening.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-12T22:43:17+00:00

    Tech-Geek is spot on. Your PC is not realistically robust enough to run Windows XP. Although you MIGHT be able to add more RAM, your bottleneck will be your 550 MHz processor.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-10T23:48:03+00:00

    Thanks for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time to help with this. I have 2 more questions then I will quit bothering you. One is for the download for winnt32.exe and the other is my son did not download Recovery Console. Is there a download that I can get for this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-10T22:26:25+00:00

    As you can see from the report your computer is a Pentium 3 / 550 megahertz  with 256 megabytes of ram. You will not be able to upgrade to a newer version.

    You really should consider upgrading to a newer computer if at all possible. Based on your computer's specs I am sure it is barely able to run Xp.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments