I am trying to reset windows xp back to original settings but I am missing the file winnt32.exe. Where can I go to get the download

Anonymous
2012-02-25T21:56:09+00:00

I do not have winnt32.exe in the i386 folder. My computer acts very strange at times. It drags, freezes, and loads things I do not click on.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-12T23:22:01+00:00

You can download the IT version of service pack 3 from HERE. Save it to your desktop. Use a file extraction software such as WnRar to extract the service pack 3 file that you downloaded to extract the files to C drive. Once the files have been extracted click Start > Run and paste the below command > Click Ok. This should install recovery console.

C:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

Also, the i386 folder will contain the winnt32.exe file you were asking for.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-23T04:46:48+00:00

    I can assure you that downloading sp3 had nothing to do with your computer not booting. It is nothing but a download. If you installed it then maybe something went array. But, my instructions were to download and save it. Not install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-23T04:33:25+00:00

    When I downloaded that my computer would not boot up. But I used Fix-It Utilities Professional's Rescue Disk and got it back up and running.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-13T17:53:56+00:00

    Thank you for all your time and patience with me. I already have sp3. Thanks again. Have a good evening.

    Do you mean you already have service pack 3 installed or that you already have it downloaded and saved for the installation of Recovery Console?

    The purpose of downloading the IT version that I linked you to was to install recovery console.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-13T04:06:43+00:00

    Thank you for all your time and patience with me. I already have sp3. Thanks again. Have a good evening.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments