Hi,
The error also means that there isn't enought power in the USB port where the device is plugged-in. I would suggest connecting the device to another USB port or use a USB hub that supplies it’s own power.
Check if it helps.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Original Title:USB DEVICS EXCEEDED THE POWER LIMITS OF ITS HUB....POWER SURGE
THE USB DEVICS HAS EXCEEDED THE POWER LIMITS OF ITS HUB....POWER SURGE....this is what the error message that was displayed everytime i put my pendrive...so i did something ,the error message stopped but cant use any pendrive...
when i put a pendrive,getting notifications at some ports...but explorer not opening the device..:(:(..Please help
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi,
The error also means that there isn't enought power in the USB port where the device is plugged-in. I would suggest connecting the device to another USB port or use a USB hub that supplies it’s own power.
Check if it helps.
Update:
What I had to do was uninstall all USB controllers, restart my computer and then go back to Device Manager and set all my Generic USB ports and USB Root Hub controllers to disallow the computer to turn off the devices to save power by unchecking all four boxes so the message should not appear again. You can complete the latter step by right clicking on all the Generic USB ports and USB Root Hub ports, clicking on properties, clicking on the Power Management tab, and unchecking the box that says "allow this computer to turn off the device to save power". Please note that you will have to uncheck the box for each Generic USB Hub and USB Root Hub port individually to ensure that the message does not return. You may also go to Regedit and follow this path: HKEY_Local_Machine/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/USBCCGP+USBHUB. Under both USBCCGP and USBHUB: Right click and click on New, on the new menu click on DWORD and a New Value field should appear. Now type in this new value field: DisableSelectiveSuspend and hit enter. Finally, click on the newly created DisableSelectiveSuspend field and click Modify; in the Value data box type 1 and press okay. Complete all steps for both USBCCGP and USBHUB.
As long as this can be a software problem, I should warn you it also can be a hardware problem.
On Gigabyte motherboards there is a voltage divider circuit which takes the 5V of USB port and provides a 3,3V signal to usb controller. If the USB tension falls down (due an overcurrent device connection, as example), the 3,3V signal follows it, and a warning is activated when 3,3 volts signal fails. The power source to associated usb ports is disabled for a while. The closed circuit tries periodically to restart the port.
I have a GA-G31M-ES2L where, due to thermal variations, the related circuit is affected (I suppose resistors change their values), reducing the limit of current of usb ports as temperature increases, and at a specific point, the protection circuit is activated, even if there is nothing connected to usb ports. So, if my board overheats, I get "power surge" alarm.
Defects on the voltage divider, or on related circuits, could lead to a permanent "power surge" message. Windows then disable the device on system hardware.
Important is that there are tipically two or more instances of this circuit, so, if rear usbs are affected - as in my case - the front usbs remain working well, as an example.
See, for clearance, this video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRkEvuBz4s4
I hope I could help.
Tanks.
OS Windows 10 build 1511
Acer One Tablet with USB keyboard
I started just having this problem with this build update a week ago. no other usb device is connect except the keyboard/hdd usb connection. So the methods you suggested don't work, still getting the usb power surges with only this device connected.
So I believe its an Win 10 OS build problem... i understand it has been pulled, but for those of us who have already upgraded... we hope a fix is on the way.
thanks.
No, its not a Windows 10 problem. I reverted back to Windows 8.1 months ago (I had to do a factory reset to get rid of it and until this day it still tries to get me download Windows 10). Any way, this problem started for me last night around midnight. I only have one thing plugged into my USB ports (which is my speakers; computer speakers no longer work) and it keeps saying there is a power surge. I tried bypassing it by going to registry editor and setting USB to bypass the USB surge limit. I tried Method 1 and 2 from the first page, as well: Method 1 did virtually nothing (I tried it three times); Method 2 worked to the point that my speakers are now showing up as a available speaker but the power surge message keeps popping up. I even went in and tried setting my Generic USB ports and USB Root Hub controllers to disallow the computer to turn off the devices to save power by unchecking all four boxes. None of these methods have worked for me. Can someone help?