Unable to change Windows Update settings: "SOME SETTINGS ARE MANAGED BY YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR

Anonymous
2012-04-11T14:24:34+00:00

original title: "SOME SETTINGS ARE MANAGED BY YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR

Im using Windows 7 Home Premium, and I've been encountering difficulties in Windows Updates Settings. I want to change my settings on Windows Updates so I can install important software from the Internet. But the problem is it prompts this message "SOME SETTINGS ARE MANAGED BY YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-13T17:05:36+00:00

If you want to change your settings on Windows Updates manualy (not from registry) you need to delete added subkey under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU to leave only the "default" subkey.

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-04-11T14:58:22+00:00

Try this:

1.    Click Start, type gpedit.msc and press Enter.

2.    Locate to Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Internet Explorer.

3.    Double-click “Security Zones: Do not allow users to change policies” on the right pane

4.    Choose “Not Configured” and click OK.

5.    Restart the computer and test the result.

You can also delete the registry key “Security_HKLM_only” under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet

Settings directly.

If the issue persists, I would like to confirm when this issue began to occur. Have any changes been made on your computer recently? Is your computer in a domain?

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-05-14T00:11:47+00:00

I had a registry setting on my PC.  HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer with a REG_DWORD called NoWindowsUpdate that was set to 1.  I set it to 0 and it worked for me.  None of the other options listed here worked for me.

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-02T17:06:29+00:00

    Hey I tried to do that.

    But when I went to Policies and then Microsoft then Windows and finally then inside that I did not see any registry named Windows Update, I saw only a single folder named as Cache, nothing at all.

    So what should I do now..?

    Please help me..!

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-03T05:56:16+00:00

    You might want to take a look in your

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate

    and

    HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    and see if there's anything there. You'll need to delete both, or you'll still get an error. Just leave the default in both. Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments