Greetings Allen,
I had trouble with iTunes as soon as I got windows 8. Each software manufacturer blames the other for updating their product before it was compatible with others. I could not connect to the iTunes store to buy music, or anything else. I tried many things suggested in this site, copying and pasting files from one spot to another. I finally called apple. They said you must uninstall all apple software in a particular sequence, then reinstall it to get things to functions properly. I can't recall what the sequence is, but I saved the link for apple help, and have pasted it below. I did it once, must not have done it right, did it again and haven't had trouble since. I was told my machine already saved all my purchased music so I didn't lose anything. I saved each song list manually to the file folder looking icon on the bottom left of your screen, under music in 'My PC'. I didn't lose a thing.
Here's the link. You said you're an Aussie? Good Luck Mate!
Jerome
Can't connect to the iTunes Store