Windows 8 updates won't install

Anonymous
2012-11-22T14:02:48+00:00

My pc is functioning as it should, except that updates KB 2770917, KB2737084, KB2761226, KB2769034, KB2769165 and KB2727528 will not install, despite numerous attempts and running the troubleshooter.

Previous updates have installed without problem.

I have tried disabling the NLS service but this has not helped. 

I have tried fully uninstalling the only recently added software but the updates would still not install.

I have disabled the firewall in my antivirus software.

My Windows 8 was installed from disc as an upgrade to Windows 7

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

59 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-11T16:56:20+00:00

    I wasn't implying that that's the reason I loathe it. If it updated perfectly I would still loathe it. I was merely stating a fact, then an opinion.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-12T07:58:00+00:00

    I'm with you Scott. Even the half-hearted attempt to give us back our good 'ol start menu with the latest "upgrade" doesn't cut it. It still brings you to these "app squares" instead of an easy to read list of programs like it used to. There's still these annoying "charms" on the right that seem to pop up annoyingly at will, especially on a notebook with a touch pad. And if you didn't happen to want it, guess what? Too bad, another micro$oft "deadline" passes & the next time you power your computer up online they give it to you anyway! My computer runs PROGRAMS, not "apps", it's a PC not a cell phone. I NEVER use these "app square" links, from the beginning when I pulled my window$ 8 notebook out of its box I set up a normal desktop & use that. I don't care for these links that automatically bring you to your email or Netflix or something, I LIKE the added (sense anyway) of security of signing in & out every time to my online services, for this same reason I've never used outlook. I always sign in AND out of Ebay, Amazon, Facebook, and when I'm done I always clear all temp folders & caches with a cleaner program, then even clean the memory with another. As long as there's a way around micro$oft's continuous efforts to try to change the way I use my computer I'll find it & continue to use my computer my way. If they ever figure out a way to completely deny that then I guess I'll have to try another OS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-02T23:08:44+00:00

    I have the same issue. I can't istall updates, nor can I access my PW passport. I hate Windows 8.

    I have Refreshed my computer 3 times and still have not gotten any results. I am going to buy an Apple and screw you MS!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-06T18:24:44+00:00

    Okay everyone,

    I have been on the phone with Microsoft and they wanted to charge me $100 to fix the problem and after I declined, I finally figured out that the whole problem is because of one of their recent update releases was corrupt causing all these issues for everyone. They have released a patch for the update, (in another update) which you will need to fix this problem. So let's fix this ****!

    Here is a link with instructions to fix it...

    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26512-dism-fixing-component-store-corruption-windows-8-a.html

    I'm also going to explain here and do this EXACTLY as I explain and we can finally ALL get past this, I am running Windows 8.1, so any of you running any other operating system, first get to the command prompt running it as "Administrator", Here we go....

    Windows and the "x" tabs at the same time

    Select Command Prompt (Admin)

    Type: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

    Hit Enter

    It will take awhile, after it gets to 100%, you will then need to go to the next step,

    Type: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

    Hit Enter

    Once that one is done, only a couple of minutes, the final step,

    Type: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    Hit Enter

    Once this step has completed, close all windows, including the command prompt and restart Windows. 

    Now, reconnect to the internet and go to control panel and run your Windows Update. Trust me, it will NOW Update! Before actually installing all the updates, look at ALL of them, you will notice probably 3 of them have parentheses at the end of the update saying "WITHOUT" a particular code, these are you fixers! Install ALL the updates and run it again, then again until it no longer comes up with anymore updates.

    Your back in business!

    Now, if I could just get someone to hire me and give me a REAL job so I could make some REAL money!

    Best wishes EVERYONE!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-01-28T18:13:12+00:00

    my update wont even download my laptop is new and its telling me i have 56 updates and 3 optional but not a single byte has managed to download

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments