Hi Everyone,
Sorry to hear I am not the only one suffering with update issues on Windows 8. I wasted far too many hours following the suggestions on this forum but to no avail.
Finally, solved this issue by performing a Windows 8 PC refresh. Slide your mouse down (or swipe from) the left hand desktop edge to access the 'Settings' charm; click 'Change PC settings' (bottom option); select the 'General' heading under 'PC settings', scroll down and click the 'Get started' button under the 'Refresh your PC without affecting your files' heading.
NB This option will uninstall all you 'old' windows style applications (which you will need to re-install manually afterwards) but it does preserve all your user files and settings.
After performing this procedure I was able to install all current Windows 8 updates from the Windows Update console. Now I just need to re-install all my old Windows applications and hopefully that will be me sorted.
Best Regards & Good Luck,
Dr Nick
PS I am not sure why the Windows support guys on this forum haven't suggested this option as it's far easier than messing around with boot options and it actually resolves the issue!
Hi Dr Nick, I've been having the same problem with my new Windows 8 PC since I bought it last weekend. The updates get to 15%, fails, the machine re-starts and then reconfigures back to the original settings. Unfortunately I'm not technical so I don't understand what you mean by "reinstall the old Windows applications"... What are these and how would I reinstall them? What about all the software I've spent hours loading - will I lose all of that too..?
Any help and advice gratefully accepted.
Thanks,
Fiona