Windows 8 updates won't install

Anonymous
2012-11-22T14:02:48+00:00

My pc is functioning as it should, except that updates KB 2770917, KB2737084, KB2761226, KB2769034, KB2769165 and KB2727528 will not install, despite numerous attempts and running the troubleshooter.

Previous updates have installed without problem.

I have tried disabling the NLS service but this has not helped. 

I have tried fully uninstalling the only recently added software but the updates would still not install.

I have disabled the firewall in my antivirus software.

My Windows 8 was installed from disc as an upgrade to Windows 7

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

59 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-05T19:01:05+00:00

    This is a generalized post rather than a reply.  I'm sitting here going through hundreds of windows update because my system crashed while doing a Windows update that knocked out restore functionality and refresh but also reinstall from standard boot. It also caused some problems getting safe mode to start and after solving that made restore function fail but managed to do a refresh install that still left my system funny but able to update but it was bad enough I did a full reinstall of the os. Basically consider I tried a load of these solutions in different forms without success to gain good function from my system.  The reason I'm posting is just to share a tip I've found to be really helpful through this last three day troubleshooting experience. I'm fortunate to be using two monitors on this three year old laptop while being able to search online for tips on a tablet. That's a tip on it's own but the real helpful suggestion I have saves you the headache of wondering if the update process is stalling or it's just really, really,  really really real realllllllllllly slow. Here it is: using a combination of task manager and it's resource monitor, open hardware monitor, and performance monitor (opn hdwr montr is a download btw, also I spread these out on my second monitor) you can actually watch your computer at least doing something real in a semi-realtime setting. What I've learned is that if you can see that your system is doing a bunch of hdd writes, cpu spikes, some ram fluctuations, and seldom network actions, just wait the damn slow garbage out, especially because it seems every time you stop the dl-install process it gets worse. Even the "check for updates" is huge hdd activity and almost zero network activity. I look at it like a flaw but it at least works. Remember this,  windows is notorious for having progress monitor issues.  I've concluded it just RARELY shows you it has done anything. I've seen it in real time. My best understanding is the update process is very different than a simple dl install and poof it's done. My observations lead me to conclude it is a scan- send report- host computer understand and generate proper reply- send- receive- understand -read/write on your drive- generate report- send -repeat repeat repeat,  yes for hours. It's much like,  and is subject to- through the pipeline, the routines of data transmission: throughput, handshake, loop back,  verify data received correctly process. Remember this too, it's hard to or impossible to tell how many of the quirks of your system are interrupting this process as well as all the computers from you to the files you need. Fortunately this is a fresh install with diligence paid to the system setup and removal of oem junk long before I connect to the Internet and then more tweaking before even going to any type of update. So far the windows update process has gone smoothly, but we all know how slow it is even when it works. 

    Enjoy watching your system work. Having the programs open does slow it down....

    Enjoy

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2016-01-27T07:56:44+00:00

    Tks for stating the issue

    I'm having the same problem

    If you tried all their suggestions what next?

    Or maybe they want us to go to Apple

    If there is a "real" solutions let us know

    Been working on upgrade issues for days

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-05-13T18:46:45+00:00

    not helpful.....too complicated for my skill level.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments