Windows 8 updates won't install

Anonymous
2012-11-22T14:02:48+00:00

My pc is functioning as it should, except that updates KB 2770917, KB2737084, KB2761226, KB2769034, KB2769165 and KB2727528 will not install, despite numerous attempts and running the troubleshooter.

Previous updates have installed without problem.

I have tried disabling the NLS service but this has not helped. 

I have tried fully uninstalling the only recently added software but the updates would still not install.

I have disabled the firewall in my antivirus software.

My Windows 8 was installed from disc as an upgrade to Windows 7

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

59 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-30T15:23:29+00:00

    Thanks for the reply. However in my previous attempts, by stopping all non MS services would that not have also stopped the Nalpeiron Licensing Service?

    The update that will not install for me is KB2756872. I don't know if it makes any difference though. I will try the suggestion of only stopping the Nalpeiron Licensing Service by its self. At this point I don't have much faith in it but one never knows until one try's. The MS tech's couldn't make it work. I will have tried this before their second level support calls me back this morning. Either it will work or it won't and I will give them more "what I have tried" info. Unless I can tell them I found the answer online. :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-29T23:20:59+00:00

    I confirm that Nalpeiron Licensing Service is the culprit for the KB2770917 Windows update installation failure.

    You don't need to stop all services (as mentioned before). Just stop the Nalpeiron Licensing Service.

    The amended recipee:

    1. Hit windows key + R to open Run command.
    2. Type in msconfig.exe and hit enter
    3. go to the Services tab on the top
    4. Uncheck the "Nalpeiron Licensing Service (Nalpeiron Ltd.)
    5. Click Apply
    6. Restart the computer
    7. Install the KB2770917 update

    You can optionally restart the Nalpeiron Licensing Service (what is this stuff anyway?) afterwards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-29T22:29:25+00:00

    I have been experiencing the same problem. Since this Monday the 26 (4 days ago) I have worked with 4 different MS tech’s. They have all done all they could and each time thought they had the problem corrected. It all started with the purchase of an off the shelf machine with WIN 8 on it. I purchased the Pro pack upgrade key that day and it simply would not allow me to input the key. After using the msconfig option as Vijin V suggested and disabling all non MS services we got a successful upgrade.

    The next day prior to attempting to install my corp license of my antivirus and other misc software I attempted to do a regular update. After 2 different calls/tec’s today and 3-4 hours of work on both sides the update will not install. We have used everything available to the first level support staff including, msconfig options, DISM.exe options to correct image issues, uninstalling video, sound, and other drivers for updates to them.  The technician has had to escalate this call to the next level of support now. While I need to put this box into service I will allow the time for education and understanding for any future problems with machines.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-11-28T07:25:19+00:00

    As I said above, I tried the clean boot option and also the nls option, without success.

    Microsoft technical support tried every other option that they knew.

    The only solution that worked was a reinstall of Windows 8 and that is what everyone with this download problem should do. It will save a lot of time and frustration and other programmes and files need not be affected. Of course, this is only if you have an installation disc or have made one from the upgrade download,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-11-27T18:04:22+00:00

    Hey guys

    Can you try booting into a Clean Boot some of the recent update errors have been narrowed down to Nalperion Licensing Service as you can see in **this thread**

    From the desktop:

    Press the Windows key +R

    In the Run box type msconfig and hit enter

    Under the Services tab, place a check in Hide all Microsoft services and hit Disable all

    Under the Startup tab click Open Task Manager

    Under the Startup tab right-click and disable each Startup item and then close Task Manager

    Click Apply/OK on System Configuration screen then restart

    Once you have completed the test, be sure to set your computer back to a normal boot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments