How do I add a program to "startup menu" (MSCONFIG)?

Anonymous
2012-04-19T23:54:02+00:00

I went to "MSCONFIG" and a program that needs to be there to operate properly, is not there. I don't see a way to add a program.

I went to services.msc. And the program is listed as STARTED and under startup item, it says AUTOMATIC.

So how do I get it into "MSCONFIG" on the startup menu ??

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-03-19T18:40:06+00:00

go to C:/ the search start menu, then wait for a folder Icon to pop up, while waiting make and/or copy a shortcut of the program and then when you see the start menu folder open it then programs (a folder in it) then start-up, paste the short-cut

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-05-03T15:29:20+00:00

    I was finally able to repair the problem.

    Got someone on Norton chat that knew what they were doing.

    Told me to use Windows "uninstall a program", and choose the second option which erases all of my records, choices, preferences etc.

    It worked. Then I reinstalled.

    Norton still not on the startup menu, like always. So I used IObit Toolbox 'Start Up Manager', it let me add Norton 360.

    Now Norton is in my msconfig, my Norton Startup etc. everywhere it belongs.

    So easy it was silly.

    Thank you for patiently trying to help me through this.

    Ironically, even with Norton 360 in the startup menu, it still won't run the startup insight scan to reduce the startup load. *sigh*.

    Otherwise, I really do prefer Norton to other options.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-05-03T16:44:45+00:00

    You state that Norton installed correctly but still didnt show in Msconfig, if that is the case it didnt install correctly.

    Your problems are probably caused by using 'SpeedUpMyPc' type of utilities, ie IObit and who knows what else, which are damaging or have messed with your system settings & registry.

    So all in all you are back to where you started.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-05-03T19:08:08+00:00

    My only comment now is 'God help you' - because I am perfectly certain that no-one in these forums can do so.

    If the installer is not working the way it should - and it is NOT the Windows Installer - then there is something serously wrong with your system, or with the Norton installer.

    Take your pick.

    I cannot help any more than I have already - and it's my honest opinionthat either you have ignored the advice given, or you have a seriously compromised system.

    I recommend a full reformat/reinstall.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-05-05T09:34:00+00:00

    I don't use the speed up my pc products included in the IObit Toolbox.

    I use IObit Malware Fighter.

    My computer is running awesome. The problem has to be on Nortons end.

    I guess I will just live with Norton scanning every file in my "startup menu".

    After that everything works great.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments