How do I add a program to "startup menu" (MSCONFIG)?

Anonymous
2012-04-19T23:54:02+00:00

I went to "MSCONFIG" and a program that needs to be there to operate properly, is not there. I don't see a way to add a program.

I went to services.msc. And the program is listed as STARTED and under startup item, it says AUTOMATIC.

So how do I get it into "MSCONFIG" on the startup menu ??

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-03-19T18:40:06+00:00

go to C:/ the search start menu, then wait for a folder Icon to pop up, while waiting make and/or copy a shortcut of the program and then when you see the start menu folder open it then programs (a folder in it) then start-up, paste the short-cut

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-21T06:15:21+00:00

    I don't understand what you mean. I'm not exactly tech savvy.

    I DO need Norton 360 in my startup folder. Norton/Symantics said it needs to be there.

    It's not in my startup folder, but it is in my startup programs. How can that possibly be?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-04-21T08:04:18+00:00

    Because not all programs that auto start will be in the start up folder, there are other locations in the registry where they are located or registered.

    Assuming Norton was installed as per their instructions and the Norton Options menu functions, its installed correctly. If its not installed or functioning correctly you will get a notification msg

    And you stated Norton scans the PC when you start the PC therefore its operating correctly.

    http://uk.norton.com/360/

    Obtain the user guide

    http://us.norton.com/support/productdetail/manuals.jsp?pvid=n360-6

    BTW You will doubtless see many utilities advertised to maintain your PC, under the general heading of 'SpeedUpMyPc' some will be free, do NOT install any, they are all snake oil and in the worst case can trash your system.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-04-21T10:24:28+00:00

    It needs to be listed in my computers startup menu or it cannot pre-scan my startup menu.

    If I run this scan, it will help it know which programs in my startup menu are trusted and DON'T need to be scanned. This is called "Norton Insight Scan", and it speeds up my computer by letting Norton know which files/programs on my computer are trusted.

    Norton/Symantics told me I need this in my startup menu.

    It's in the startup menu on my other computer [windows 7 also] and the scan in question runs perfect.

    I never use the FREE programs unless they are highly recommended by cnet.com.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-04-21T11:14:56+00:00

    Why do you want Norton 360?

    When you have problems with system performance the Forum is Performance and Maintenance.

    For problems updating Windows it is Windows Update.

    When System Restore does not work it is System Repair and Recovery.

    When your budget is limited and you are fed up trying to resolve the problems mentioned above switch to a better and less problematic freeware alternative..

    When you want good freeware do not rely on a web site providing software for independent advice.

    When you are having problems removing Norton 360 try the Norton removal tool

    https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=kb20071130124653EN_EndUserProfile_en_us&lg=english&ct=unitedstates&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home&entsrc=redirect_pubweb

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments