FileHistory - unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Anonymous
2012-10-27T22:46:43+00:00

Hi,

Windows 8 x64 Pro in dual boot with Win 7 on a SSD.

Partitions layout:

1 - WIN 8 - ntfs - C: - 70 GB

2 - WIN 7 - ntfs - F: - 140 GB

3 - System Reserved - ntfs - none - 200MB (active)

4 - 28,30 GB unallocated for over provisioning

[Short explanation on why this is the layout]

I had to use this because my BIOS couldn't even POST in AHCI mode due to the problem described here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/0185fced-0564-412f-8e10-bec37d020c81 (= first partition can't be littler than some gbs), so I moved System Reserved partition to the end of the drive, done the needed repair here and there and since then all worked fine and good.

[/end :) ]

Now, File History on Win8 is absolutely needed for me so I bought a brand new 2TB drive, ntfs formatted, for the purpose.

Problem is it always starts and stops immediately this way:

Nome registro: Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Engine/BackupLog

Origine:       Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Core

Data:          28/10/2012 00.33.07

ID evento:     201

Categoria attività:Nessuna

Livello:       Errore

Parole chiave:

Utente:        SYSTEM

Computer:      Home-PC

Descrizione:

Impossibile cercare le modifiche nelle librerie dell'utente ed eseguire il backup dei file modificati per la configurazione C:\Users\Matteo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

XML evento:

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Core" Guid="{B447B4DB-7780-11E0-ADA3-18A90531A85A}" />

<EventID>201</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x1000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-10-27T21:52:13.448724900Z" />

<EventRecordID>221</EventRecordID>

<Correlation ActivityID="{8A01709B-B48A-0002-8399-018A8AB4CD01}" />

<Execution ProcessID="392" ThreadID="1528" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Engine/BackupLog</Channel>

<Computer>Home-PC</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="Hr">2147747327</Data>

<Data Name="ConfigFilePath">C:\Users\Matteo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config</Data>

</EventData>

xml:

-

Error is described (translated as found in other threads) as:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users[Username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

It does create four files in C:\Users\Matteo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration :

Catalog1.edb 19.464 KB

Catalog2.edb 1.032 KB

Config1.xml 4 KB

Config2.xml 4 KB

and just these in the target D:\FileHistory\Matteo\HOME-PC\Configuration :

Catalog1.edb 1.032 KB

Config1.xml 4 KB

Config2.xml 4 KB

The window of file history acts as if everything went OK but stops.

Found old threads about Win8 preview version but they was not useful.

Thanks.

Regards,

Matteo.

---edit---

Tried the Windows Backup, the one as it was on Win7. Now here on Win8 it works. Well, this is just to confirm that partitions layout seems ok, otherwise it would not have worked. I still need FileHistory to start succesfully...

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-14T06:46:22+00:00

Same error here. No backups for the past month without notification. I was really annoyed. 

I tried to remove my libraries, restarted, no solution.

In the end I did this and FileHistory started working again:

  1. Turn it off in the File History control panel
  2. Close the control panel
  3. Go to your filehistory directory C:\Users[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory and set aside the Data and Configuration directories (Check the event for the exact directory location)
  4. Open File History control panel
  5. Reselect the backup disk
  6. I think it was switched on automatically, otherwise do that

The Configuration and Data directories were remade and everything runs OK (for the moment).

File History is buggy and could use a better set of error messages.

John

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-09T20:43:35+00:00

Hello,

I have resolved the problem!!!

Unplug your external hard drive then in the file history select another drive ex.: a partition on your internal hard drive.

Start File History to save copies from your file then stop it.

Go to your partition look for folder File History and copy the folder with all of its content to your external hard drive. It will copy the Config1.Xml, Config2.Xml, Catalog1.ebd , Catalog2.ebd what's in your Configuration folder what I think is synchronizing with C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration ->folder there is to a Config1.Xml, Config2.Xml, Catalog1.ebd , Catalog2.ebd.

Now if you finished copying go back to ControlPanel\FileHistory settings ->Select you external harddrive and start File History to copy your files.

I hope it will help.

Please excuse me for my poor English.

Have a nice day.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-11T00:12:17+00:00

    This is really frustrating.

    It silently started happening again after ~a month it was working without even warn me.

    It's stopped at 6/12/2012 and every try to launch it says error 201 with the same message as the op.

    Can't this be fixed!?

    Where's the problem?

    I'm quite much disappointed by the general quality of Win8, bsods have even grown up instead of diminishing over time...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-14T23:27:44+00:00

    I had the same problem.  In my case I have a WD external HDD which I was using with my old PC.  It already had a lot of data backed up on it from another PC I have running Win 8 also using File History.  So I thought I would shortcut the backup process by moving the files from the file history directory (created under my other pc) on the external HDD to the new file history directory created by the new pc.  File history would then run a few seconds then stop with the same error mentioned above.  I tried deleting the config files and forcing windows to create new ones all to no avail.  File History still did not work.

    I then moved all previous backup files to another folder on the same HDD as an experiment, then deleted the file history config files and re-selected my external HDD as the backup drive.  Presto!  File History started and has been running for about 15min so far without a hitch. 

    It would appear that File History didn't like my old backup files.  So I will create them again.  Im glad this is sorted out cause I just wanted something simple and easy to use without the use of imaging software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-15T15:06:53+00:00

    It worked for me too this time.

    I strongly think file history is a lot buggy and not at all ready for public if it stops working after a month because, for some reason, as you said, "it doesn't like your old backup files" ....don't you?

    We want these big bugs fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments