FileHistory - unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Anonymous
2012-10-27T22:46:43+00:00

Hi,

Windows 8 x64 Pro in dual boot with Win 7 on a SSD.

Partitions layout:

1 - WIN 8 - ntfs - C: - 70 GB

2 - WIN 7 - ntfs - F: - 140 GB

3 - System Reserved - ntfs - none - 200MB (active)

4 - 28,30 GB unallocated for over provisioning

[Short explanation on why this is the layout]

I had to use this because my BIOS couldn't even POST in AHCI mode due to the problem described here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/0185fced-0564-412f-8e10-bec37d020c81 (= first partition can't be littler than some gbs), so I moved System Reserved partition to the end of the drive, done the needed repair here and there and since then all worked fine and good.

[/end :) ]

Now, File History on Win8 is absolutely needed for me so I bought a brand new 2TB drive, ntfs formatted, for the purpose.

Problem is it always starts and stops immediately this way:

Nome registro: Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Engine/BackupLog

Origine:       Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Core

Data:          28/10/2012 00.33.07

ID evento:     201

Categoria attività:Nessuna

Livello:       Errore

Parole chiave:

Utente:        SYSTEM

Computer:      Home-PC

Descrizione:

Impossibile cercare le modifiche nelle librerie dell'utente ed eseguire il backup dei file modificati per la configurazione C:\Users\Matteo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

XML evento:

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Core" Guid="{B447B4DB-7780-11E0-ADA3-18A90531A85A}" />

<EventID>201</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x1000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-10-27T21:52:13.448724900Z" />

<EventRecordID>221</EventRecordID>

<Correlation ActivityID="{8A01709B-B48A-0002-8399-018A8AB4CD01}" />

<Execution ProcessID="392" ThreadID="1528" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Engine/BackupLog</Channel>

<Computer>Home-PC</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="Hr">2147747327</Data>

<Data Name="ConfigFilePath">C:\Users\Matteo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config</Data>

</EventData>

xml:

-

Error is described (translated as found in other threads) as:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users[Username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

It does create four files in C:\Users\Matteo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration :

Catalog1.edb 19.464 KB

Catalog2.edb 1.032 KB

Config1.xml 4 KB

Config2.xml 4 KB

and just these in the target D:\FileHistory\Matteo\HOME-PC\Configuration :

Catalog1.edb 1.032 KB

Config1.xml 4 KB

Config2.xml 4 KB

The window of file history acts as if everything went OK but stops.

Found old threads about Win8 preview version but they was not useful.

Thanks.

Regards,

Matteo.

---edit---

Tried the Windows Backup, the one as it was on Win7. Now here on Win8 it works. Well, this is just to confirm that partitions layout seems ok, otherwise it would not have worked. I still need FileHistory to start succesfully...

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-14T06:46:22+00:00

Same error here. No backups for the past month without notification. I was really annoyed. 

I tried to remove my libraries, restarted, no solution.

In the end I did this and FileHistory started working again:

  1. Turn it off in the File History control panel
  2. Close the control panel
  3. Go to your filehistory directory C:\Users[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory and set aside the Data and Configuration directories (Check the event for the exact directory location)
  4. Open File History control panel
  5. Reselect the backup disk
  6. I think it was switched on automatically, otherwise do that

The Configuration and Data directories were remade and everything runs OK (for the moment).

File History is buggy and could use a better set of error messages.

John

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-09T20:43:35+00:00

Hello,

I have resolved the problem!!!

Unplug your external hard drive then in the file history select another drive ex.: a partition on your internal hard drive.

Start File History to save copies from your file then stop it.

Go to your partition look for folder File History and copy the folder with all of its content to your external hard drive. It will copy the Config1.Xml, Config2.Xml, Catalog1.ebd , Catalog2.ebd what's in your Configuration folder what I think is synchronizing with C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration ->folder there is to a Config1.Xml, Config2.Xml, Catalog1.ebd , Catalog2.ebd.

Now if you finished copying go back to ControlPanel\FileHistory settings ->Select you external harddrive and start File History to copy your files.

I hope it will help.

Please excuse me for my poor English.

Have a nice day.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2013-06-26T10:28:33+00:00

    I think the files that the File History process cannot handle in the Music folder are the Album Art files. Those files tend to have long file names so it would make sense that File History's file copy process cannot add its own data to the file name without making the Album Art file names too long.

    I too excluded the Music folder(s) and now the file history process runs as expected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-15T18:04:13+00:00

    I also had problems with file history but to know that you need to go to advanced settings and click on open file history event logs to view recent events or error.

    There I could see a number of events 201 with a description like this:

    Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users*username*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config. The issue is that you do not know which file or folder is causing the problem. The only way I found was as someone else suggested to exclude all libraries and re-enabling them one at a time. I could see that the issue was in my music library. Now I had to exclude all folders in my music library and re-enable them one by one (very painful when you have about 100 folders).

    In my case the culprit was that I had two folders named "Michel polnareff" (one space) and "Michel  polnareff" (two spaces). It seems that file history does some kind or string cleansing and must have found a duplicate. After putting the content of the second folder in the first one and getting rid of the second folder that I did not want any way (must have been created like that while ripping a CD) everything worked fine.

    I quite like the fact that my files are backed up more often than with the WIndows 7 backup that was scheduled to run every week but I hope that Microsoft solve the problems people experience with the feature. It is most frustrating not to know that you have an issue with your backup and when you realise you have a problem you cannot pinpoint the cause of the problem easily.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments