FileHistory - unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Anonymous
2012-10-27T22:46:43+00:00

Hi,

Windows 8 x64 Pro in dual boot with Win 7 on a SSD.

Partitions layout:

1 - WIN 8 - ntfs - C: - 70 GB

2 - WIN 7 - ntfs - F: - 140 GB

3 - System Reserved - ntfs - none - 200MB (active)

4 - 28,30 GB unallocated for over provisioning

[Short explanation on why this is the layout]

I had to use this because my BIOS couldn't even POST in AHCI mode due to the problem described here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/0185fced-0564-412f-8e10-bec37d020c81 (= first partition can't be littler than some gbs), so I moved System Reserved partition to the end of the drive, done the needed repair here and there and since then all worked fine and good.

[/end :) ]

Now, File History on Win8 is absolutely needed for me so I bought a brand new 2TB drive, ntfs formatted, for the purpose.

Problem is it always starts and stops immediately this way:

Nome registro: Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Engine/BackupLog

Origine:       Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Core

Data:          28/10/2012 00.33.07

ID evento:     201

Categoria attività:Nessuna

Livello:       Errore

Parole chiave:

Utente:        SYSTEM

Computer:      Home-PC

Descrizione:

Impossibile cercare le modifiche nelle librerie dell'utente ed eseguire il backup dei file modificati per la configurazione C:\Users\Matteo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

XML evento:

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Core" Guid="{B447B4DB-7780-11E0-ADA3-18A90531A85A}" />

<EventID>201</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x1000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-10-27T21:52:13.448724900Z" />

<EventRecordID>221</EventRecordID>

<Correlation ActivityID="{8A01709B-B48A-0002-8399-018A8AB4CD01}" />

<Execution ProcessID="392" ThreadID="1528" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Engine/BackupLog</Channel>

<Computer>Home-PC</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="Hr">2147747327</Data>

<Data Name="ConfigFilePath">C:\Users\Matteo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config</Data>

</EventData>

xml:

-

Error is described (translated as found in other threads) as:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users[Username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

It does create four files in C:\Users\Matteo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration :

Catalog1.edb 19.464 KB

Catalog2.edb 1.032 KB

Config1.xml 4 KB

Config2.xml 4 KB

and just these in the target D:\FileHistory\Matteo\HOME-PC\Configuration :

Catalog1.edb 1.032 KB

Config1.xml 4 KB

Config2.xml 4 KB

The window of file history acts as if everything went OK but stops.

Found old threads about Win8 preview version but they was not useful.

Thanks.

Regards,

Matteo.

---edit---

Tried the Windows Backup, the one as it was on Win7. Now here on Win8 it works. Well, this is just to confirm that partitions layout seems ok, otherwise it would not have worked. I still need FileHistory to start succesfully...

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-14T06:46:22+00:00

Same error here. No backups for the past month without notification. I was really annoyed. 

I tried to remove my libraries, restarted, no solution.

In the end I did this and FileHistory started working again:

  1. Turn it off in the File History control panel
  2. Close the control panel
  3. Go to your filehistory directory C:\Users[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory and set aside the Data and Configuration directories (Check the event for the exact directory location)
  4. Open File History control panel
  5. Reselect the backup disk
  6. I think it was switched on automatically, otherwise do that

The Configuration and Data directories were remade and everything runs OK (for the moment).

File History is buggy and could use a better set of error messages.

John

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-09T20:43:35+00:00

Hello,

I have resolved the problem!!!

Unplug your external hard drive then in the file history select another drive ex.: a partition on your internal hard drive.

Start File History to save copies from your file then stop it.

Go to your partition look for folder File History and copy the folder with all of its content to your external hard drive. It will copy the Config1.Xml, Config2.Xml, Catalog1.ebd , Catalog2.ebd what's in your Configuration folder what I think is synchronizing with C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration ->folder there is to a Config1.Xml, Config2.Xml, Catalog1.ebd , Catalog2.ebd.

Now if you finished copying go back to ControlPanel\FileHistory settings ->Select you external harddrive and start File History to copy your files.

I hope it will help.

Please excuse me for my poor English.

Have a nice day.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-11-06T16:10:17+00:00

    Howdy, in response to this, I tried hitting Select Drive again and reselecting my backup drive and, somehow, this removed the time-code from File History, making it even harder to detect changes. I copied my backup, wiped the drive and selected it again, and it seems to be working now. I'll keep you posted on whether it completes.  I was getting the same 201 Error as all you guys.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-10-12T16:32:30+00:00

    file history worked in the beginning but now with all the updates...all I get are error messages

    File/directory was not backed up due to being encrypted or insufficient permissions:

    I have not done anything to change anything but need a backup

    can anyone help with a solution that I can follow?

    thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-08T01:49:17+00:00

    On both of my "work" and "media" computers, File History has failed with EventID 201, but it is working on a third PC in the house which used mainly for web browsing and has relatively few files saved on it.  It's clear that in it's current form, File History doesn't cut it if you have a lot of files in your libraries.

    [OT] After spending over 20 hours trying to solve this problem, I've moved on to using 3rd party software to back up my data.  After reading more about FH, I found that it doesn't back up SkyDrive, which is ridiculous. I couldn't find a current freeware solution that has incremental backup, and 3rd party software required a buying a license for each PC.  It irks me to have to pay extra for a function that I already paid for when I bought Windows, especially one that worked fine in Windows 7 and they touted as an improvement that made backing up easier.  I don't care about the Start Screen vs. the Start Menu.  I care about is how well the system works, and unfortunately in this case that is *not at all*.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments