FileHistory - unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Anonymous
2012-10-27T22:46:43+00:00

Hi,

Windows 8 x64 Pro in dual boot with Win 7 on a SSD.

Partitions layout:

1 - WIN 8 - ntfs - C: - 70 GB

2 - WIN 7 - ntfs - F: - 140 GB

3 - System Reserved - ntfs - none - 200MB (active)

4 - 28,30 GB unallocated for over provisioning

[Short explanation on why this is the layout]

I had to use this because my BIOS couldn't even POST in AHCI mode due to the problem described here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/0185fced-0564-412f-8e10-bec37d020c81 (= first partition can't be littler than some gbs), so I moved System Reserved partition to the end of the drive, done the needed repair here and there and since then all worked fine and good.

[/end :) ]

Now, File History on Win8 is absolutely needed for me so I bought a brand new 2TB drive, ntfs formatted, for the purpose.

Problem is it always starts and stops immediately this way:

Nome registro: Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Engine/BackupLog

Origine:       Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Core

Data:          28/10/2012 00.33.07

ID evento:     201

Categoria attività:Nessuna

Livello:       Errore

Parole chiave:

Utente:        SYSTEM

Computer:      Home-PC

Descrizione:

Impossibile cercare le modifiche nelle librerie dell'utente ed eseguire il backup dei file modificati per la configurazione C:\Users\Matteo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

XML evento:

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Core" Guid="{B447B4DB-7780-11E0-ADA3-18A90531A85A}" />

<EventID>201</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x1000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-10-27T21:52:13.448724900Z" />

<EventRecordID>221</EventRecordID>

<Correlation ActivityID="{8A01709B-B48A-0002-8399-018A8AB4CD01}" />

<Execution ProcessID="392" ThreadID="1528" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Engine/BackupLog</Channel>

<Computer>Home-PC</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data Name="Hr">2147747327</Data>

<Data Name="ConfigFilePath">C:\Users\Matteo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config</Data>

</EventData>

xml:

-

Error is described (translated as found in other threads) as:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users[Username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

It does create four files in C:\Users\Matteo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration :

Catalog1.edb 19.464 KB

Catalog2.edb 1.032 KB

Config1.xml 4 KB

Config2.xml 4 KB

and just these in the target D:\FileHistory\Matteo\HOME-PC\Configuration :

Catalog1.edb 1.032 KB

Config1.xml 4 KB

Config2.xml 4 KB

The window of file history acts as if everything went OK but stops.

Found old threads about Win8 preview version but they was not useful.

Thanks.

Regards,

Matteo.

---edit---

Tried the Windows Backup, the one as it was on Win7. Now here on Win8 it works. Well, this is just to confirm that partitions layout seems ok, otherwise it would not have worked. I still need FileHistory to start succesfully...

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-14T06:46:22+00:00

Same error here. No backups for the past month without notification. I was really annoyed. 

I tried to remove my libraries, restarted, no solution.

In the end I did this and FileHistory started working again:

  1. Turn it off in the File History control panel
  2. Close the control panel
  3. Go to your filehistory directory C:\Users[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory and set aside the Data and Configuration directories (Check the event for the exact directory location)
  4. Open File History control panel
  5. Reselect the backup disk
  6. I think it was switched on automatically, otherwise do that

The Configuration and Data directories were remade and everything runs OK (for the moment).

File History is buggy and could use a better set of error messages.

John

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-09T20:43:35+00:00

Hello,

I have resolved the problem!!!

Unplug your external hard drive then in the file history select another drive ex.: a partition on your internal hard drive.

Start File History to save copies from your file then stop it.

Go to your partition look for folder File History and copy the folder with all of its content to your external hard drive. It will copy the Config1.Xml, Config2.Xml, Catalog1.ebd , Catalog2.ebd what's in your Configuration folder what I think is synchronizing with C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration ->folder there is to a Config1.Xml, Config2.Xml, Catalog1.ebd , Catalog2.ebd.

Now if you finished copying go back to ControlPanel\FileHistory settings ->Select you external harddrive and start File History to copy your files.

I hope it will help.

Please excuse me for my poor English.

Have a nice day.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-12-26T23:09:42+00:00

    What really annoys me is that I got no warning that backup had ceased. This is reprehensible. To discover that I have not been backing up my files, by accident, I find deplorable. This new backup system was one of the reasons I went for windows 8. I have preached about backups for longer than I can remember and to be caught out like this I am to say the least extremely annoyed. I bought a new Router and external hard drive to make full use of this Backup system. Microsoft this is, I think the last straw for me. You have released a new Program which is most definitely not fit for purpose especially when applied to desktop computing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-06T08:53:05+00:00

    I have the same problem - when I added my music folder to the backups - it just fails.

    If I add the folders in one at a time - eventually (3 CD's in) the backup doesn't work anymore.

    I think perhaps it could have something to do with the length of the filenames created on the backup drive.

    The backup solution creates so many sub folders that the file names are being pushed past 248 characters in most cases - especially with music folders.

    It seems to be very hap hazard in what works and what doesn't. Wish the backup utility from windows 7 was still available.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-10-30T18:09:49+00:00

    ---workaround found---

    I tried excluding directories to see if the catalog file's dimension was the problem.

    In reality it evidently had some problems with some file/folder containing my music because it started saving the real data right now when I added music to the folders to be excluded from the backup.

    I let it do the first full backup and I discovered that adding music back was what makes the process bug. I don't know what can be 'strange' of my music folders. It can have some non-standard characters in the file/folder names, that can be the problem. I will try to indagate this possibility.

    Anyway, I would still like to save my music with file history in the future so I hope to see some resolution of the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments