Error message: Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration and unable to connect to Internet after installing Windows 8.

Anonymous
2012-11-02T13:29:58+00:00

Original title: Internet is not working after Installing Windows 8. Please Help

I installed Windows 8 a week ago, which had Windows Vista. When I was using Vista, I had no problems with the Internet I had. But soon after I installed Windows 8 the problem started. The connection hardly stands for 2 minutes. Moreover it doesn't navigate beyond my home page. After troubleshooting the result came as Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration. This really makes me frustrated. after all I was eager to browse through windows 8, this problem makes me think really bad. If anybody could help me, it will be grateful to you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-26T18:19:59+00:00

Respected Manorajan,

Me too had d same problem but i solved it later on myself.

Here's it how to :-

1- Make sure u have intel network driver installed i ur windows it pc. Download it ( on any other pc and transfer and install it into this one) and install it in ur respective windows 8 pc. Here's the link to download it :- http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/INTEL/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-172-for-Windows-8.shtml

Den download realtek lan driver from here install it http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/REALTEK/Intel-Realtek-LAN-Driver-80030730-for-Windows-8.shtml..if in installing theres any error ignore it..dont panic and reinstall..as it will already be installed

2-unplug your LAN cable and wireless connection 

3-Go to network and sharing center den on d left side click on change adapter settings left clik on intel network adapter

4-Go to  "Ethernet Adapter local area connection" properties and deselect '' Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)''

5- select **"**Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"

And press Properties button

6- select "Use the following IP address:" option and set this ips

IP= ''ur ip address''

subnet mask=255.255.255.0

default gateway = your router ip  (you can recheck all dis from any other pc having a successful conection wid dis same one by checking the properties of d connection or from any smart phone like any iphone or android mobile if it is used as a wifi too by seeing staus/properties of ur respective wifi name  )

7- from second section select "Use the following DNS server addresses:"

set**"PreferAlternate DNS server:"** your router ip which u entered in ''default gateway'' above. press ok and try to connect through lan then wireless

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-09T15:25:57+00:00

    Her nair I am having a problem with my Ethernet cable as well why I trouble hoot it come up with Ethernet cable doesn't have a valid ip configuration I have tried all of the plugins across the 3 pages including the winsock one o can you pls help me because I don't know what's wrong  with my Ethernet cable or computer thanks for your replies and any help will be appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-30T11:37:17+00:00

    Hi Brian,

    Good to know that you got a fix for the issue and thank you for sharing the information.

    Let us know if you need further assistance with Windows related issues. We will be happy to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-04-05T23:09:43+00:00

    I spent several hours troubleshooting the issue with no avail. I finally connect an Ethernet cable directly to the router, and it started to work instantly.

    Brian Nguyen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-18T06:06:31+00:00

    On 1 month old Asus X401A, connected to ethernet with no problems only a couple of times. Started having problems after some Windows Updates were applied. Got msg "Ethernet doesn't have valid configuration" and asked to run Windows 8 network diagnostic which did "something", and ethernet worked once, but has not worked after that. Since then I have only gotten "Unidentified Network, Limited" twice, and only after clearing and resetting Winsock, ip stacks.

    So far what has not worked includes:

    • have updated all Asus and Microsoft software
    • Turned off Asus "Instant On".
    • Turned off energy saving feature on ethernet connection so not affected by sleep.
    • Set specific router IP as ipv4 address as alternate, and then also as primary.
    • Cleared WINSOCK, ipv4, ipv6, released / reset ip
    • ipconfig / register dns
    • ipconfig /flushdns
    • ipconfig /release     results in  "No operation can be performed on ethernet while it has its media disconnected"
    • Reset Bios UEFI
    • Installed new Realtek driver (PCIe GBE Family Controller (2013, was 2011 ver) And rolled it back also
    • Computer is definitely connected, router port flashes single flash
    • Ping to 127.0.0.1 works, but ping to router does NOT work

    Now I think I see hardware conflicts / sharing issues? 

    RealTek PCIe GBE Family Controller shows twice, with two different Memory Addresses

    Several other conflicts show (I think?), including Motherboard resources showing many times, but I haven't seen the negative affects (not tried very many different functions with laptop yet)

    I just found Windows Error reporting showing errors for the last time I was able to get "Unidentified Network" like:

    • NetworkDiagnosticsFrameworkV3
    • PnPDriverNotFound
    • AEAPPINVW8

    Asus tech support recommended going back to original factory settings, but this problem started after I updated some of the Windows updates, so I'm not confident going back to factory settings will solve problem, if I then reinstall this problem again with Windows Updates!!??

    I've also seen similar problems after updates to Windows 8.1, so am not confident of upgrade to Win 8.1 either?  Thank goodness wireless works fine, but only ethernet is available in my primary location. 

    Many thanks for advice

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments