Error message: Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration and unable to connect to Internet after installing Windows 8.

Anonymous
2012-11-02T13:29:58+00:00

Original title: Internet is not working after Installing Windows 8. Please Help

I installed Windows 8 a week ago, which had Windows Vista. When I was using Vista, I had no problems with the Internet I had. But soon after I installed Windows 8 the problem started. The connection hardly stands for 2 minutes. Moreover it doesn't navigate beyond my home page. After troubleshooting the result came as Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration. This really makes me frustrated. after all I was eager to browse through windows 8, this problem makes me think really bad. If anybody could help me, it will be grateful to you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-26T18:19:59+00:00

Respected Manorajan,

Me too had d same problem but i solved it later on myself.

Here's it how to :-

1- Make sure u have intel network driver installed i ur windows it pc. Download it ( on any other pc and transfer and install it into this one) and install it in ur respective windows 8 pc. Here's the link to download it :- http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/INTEL/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-172-for-Windows-8.shtml

Den download realtek lan driver from here install it http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/REALTEK/Intel-Realtek-LAN-Driver-80030730-for-Windows-8.shtml..if in installing theres any error ignore it..dont panic and reinstall..as it will already be installed

2-unplug your LAN cable and wireless connection 

3-Go to network and sharing center den on d left side click on change adapter settings left clik on intel network adapter

4-Go to  "Ethernet Adapter local area connection" properties and deselect '' Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)''

5- select **"**Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"

And press Properties button

6- select "Use the following IP address:" option and set this ips

IP= ''ur ip address''

subnet mask=255.255.255.0

default gateway = your router ip  (you can recheck all dis from any other pc having a successful conection wid dis same one by checking the properties of d connection or from any smart phone like any iphone or android mobile if it is used as a wifi too by seeing staus/properties of ur respective wifi name  )

7- from second section select "Use the following DNS server addresses:"

set**"PreferAlternate DNS server:"** your router ip which u entered in ''default gateway'' above. press ok and try to connect through lan then wireless

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-12-06T19:49:46+00:00

    HI, Thank you so very much. IT worked and without pages of instructions I did not understand. Why are you the only one that figured out an easy way to do this. Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-12-06T19:33:35+00:00

    I have windows 10.....all of these answers apply to windows 7 or 8.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-05-16T21:24:03+00:00

    Hi R.Manoranjan,

    Thanks for posting in the Microsoft Community.

    Sorry to know that you lost the internet connection after the installation of Windows 8. It would be helpful if you could reply to these questions to assist you further.

    1. What is the make and model of your system?
    2. Have you updated the network card drivers to the latest version?
    3. What troubleshooting steps did you try?

    Let’s try the following steps and check if it helps:

    Method 1:

    Step1:

    You may try the steps provided for Windows 8 and RT from the link provided and check if it helps.

    You may try updating the network card drivers, router and adapter firmware by following the steps provided in the article:

    Wired and wireless network problems

    Also refer the article:

    Why can’t I connect to a network?

    Step 2:

    If Windows 8 drivers are not available for the network card, then try installing Windows 7 or Vista drivers in compatibility mode.

    a. Download the network card drivers from manufacturer website.

    b. Right-click on the driver setup files and click on ‘properties’.

    c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 7 operating system from the drop down.

    d. Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ to install it.

    For further information, refer the article:

    Get your apps and devices working in Windows 8  

    Method 2:

    If the issue persists, you may try the following steps and check if it helps.

    Reset TCP/IP and check if it helps.

    a. Press Windows key + X, Select**Command Prompt (Admin)**and then press ENTER.

    b. At the command prompt, type the following command and then press ENTER:

    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

    Note: If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:

    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

    c. Reboot the computer.

    Method 3:

    You may also follow these steps and check if it helps.

    a. Press Windows key + X, Select**Command Prompt (Admin)**and then press ENTER.

    b. At the command prompt, type the following command and then press ENTER:

    ipconfig /release

    ipconfig /renew

    c. Close the command prompt.

    If you need further assistance, please reply and we will be happy to help you.

    My new HP laptop came with Windows 8. I have been having connection problems and have tried several troubleshooting ideas with no success. When I try to access the internet I get a 'page not available' reponse; or the dns server isn't responding; or ethernet doesn't have a valid IP confituration, etc. I tried your suggestion to another poster - windows button + X, ipconfig/release ipconfig/renew close. Forgive my lack of knowledge here, but exactly how should this be typed in ie, do i type it on two lines as you have suggested, or do I type the ipconfig/release then enter then ipconfig/renew. In any case it hasn't worked so far. Please help.

    Hello, 

    I have tried all the solutions above but still cant connect to the internet. 

    I have even done a system restore 

    Please help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-06T18:02:24+00:00

    Bless your soul.

    I actually only had to go through the first step - downloading the driver. I have the Intel I217-V and downloaded the Windows 8 driver from the Intel downloads site - from my other computer, then thumb drived it across to the 'broken' computer. After installing it, I was back online. What a relief. Now I will personally carry you to the gates of Valhalla - V8.

    Back story.

    After updating from worthy Windows 8 to glorious Windows 10, the internet stopped working. I called Microsoft who quickly and effortlessly 'kicked it' over to AT&T. After 2 hours on the phone, AT&T lamented that they could not fix it and that I should roll back to worthy Windows 8 and wait until the newest driver is ready for the Window 10 package (effectively 'kicking it' back to Microsoft). The roll back went smoothly and quickly, but the internet still didn't work. Doing a I217-V error message search lead to this post and my relief.

    I'm going to try the Windows 10 upgrade again - but download and save the Windows 10 I217-V network driver first.

    Final comments.

    Looks like some of the ridiculous conspiracy theories on YouTube are actually real!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments