Error message: Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration and unable to connect to Internet after installing Windows 8.

Anonymous
2012-11-02T13:29:58+00:00

Original title: Internet is not working after Installing Windows 8. Please Help

I installed Windows 8 a week ago, which had Windows Vista. When I was using Vista, I had no problems with the Internet I had. But soon after I installed Windows 8 the problem started. The connection hardly stands for 2 minutes. Moreover it doesn't navigate beyond my home page. After troubleshooting the result came as Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration. This really makes me frustrated. after all I was eager to browse through windows 8, this problem makes me think really bad. If anybody could help me, it will be grateful to you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-26T18:19:59+00:00

Respected Manorajan,

Me too had d same problem but i solved it later on myself.

Here's it how to :-

1- Make sure u have intel network driver installed i ur windows it pc. Download it ( on any other pc and transfer and install it into this one) and install it in ur respective windows 8 pc. Here's the link to download it :- http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/INTEL/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-172-for-Windows-8.shtml

Den download realtek lan driver from here install it http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/REALTEK/Intel-Realtek-LAN-Driver-80030730-for-Windows-8.shtml..if in installing theres any error ignore it..dont panic and reinstall..as it will already be installed

2-unplug your LAN cable and wireless connection 

3-Go to network and sharing center den on d left side click on change adapter settings left clik on intel network adapter

4-Go to  "Ethernet Adapter local area connection" properties and deselect '' Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)''

5- select **"**Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"

And press Properties button

6- select "Use the following IP address:" option and set this ips

IP= ''ur ip address''

subnet mask=255.255.255.0

default gateway = your router ip  (you can recheck all dis from any other pc having a successful conection wid dis same one by checking the properties of d connection or from any smart phone like any iphone or android mobile if it is used as a wifi too by seeing staus/properties of ur respective wifi name  )

7- from second section select "Use the following DNS server addresses:"

set**"PreferAlternate DNS server:"** your router ip which u entered in ''default gateway'' above. press ok and try to connect through lan then wireless

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-08-30T18:17:34+00:00

    I have an answer! I tried everything listed on multiple sites (basically the top 5 google hits) after my net was down for 2 days.  Finally I simply completely shut down my Win8 desktop, and flipped the back power switch, I'm guessing it was something in the bios or longer memory, if that makes any sense. The internal battery to any device needs to run dead. Those of you stuck on laptops, pull the battery and the cord; towers, pull the cord or flip the switch. God Speed all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-11T08:51:24+00:00

    I tried to do the ping, but there was no default gateway. I am in Russia with my grandparents, and they have an ethernet cable.I connected it to my computer, but it said "unidentified network"*.*I watched many youtube videos, but none of them worked. I also tried the things that microsoft posted, but they also didn't work. I finally came upon the troubleshooting section of the Network and Sharing Center, where it checked to see what the problem was. It siad "invalid ip configuration". Then I came upon this, and wanted to write to you.My TCP/IP settings are set to automatic, because I have absolutely NO idea what the ip stuff is, and if my granparents even have a disc for the ip configuration. I have been having a hard time, because I am using two computers, my grandparents computer (which the internet works on) and my computer so I have to constantly connect and disconnect the ethernet cable between the two. I obviously can not download the network card from the internet onto my computer because I have no internet. If it helps, the network is unidentified and limited, and my laptop is a inspiron 15 Windows 8 included with intel pentium inside.On the bottom it says:

    Dell (Some Chinese or Japanese stuff)

     (Some Chinese or Japanese stuff) Made in china   (Some Chinese or Japanese stuff): Inspiron 15-3521 

      (Some Chinese or Japanese stuff) DPN:  PJ8GD A00 The service tag (S/N) is :7ZDBFW1 and the express service code is 17376161329. Please help me, please, I beg you! Thanks,

    The Mysterious Person

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-06T16:41:01+00:00

    I've been experiencing the same problem on one of my machines. It started recently, and after a software update. I've been able to work around the problem by the following steps:

    1. Right click the network icon.
    2. Select troubleshoot problems.
    3. Close the dialog box after "Ethernet doesn' have a valid IP configuration.
    4. Right click the network icon.
    5. Select open network and sharing center.
    6. Select change adapter settings.
    7. Select the Ethernet adapter.
    8. Select properties in the new window.
    9. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) under "This connection uses the following items:"
    10. Click the Properties button.
    11. Select 'Use the following IP address" radio button
    12. Manually enter your IP address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway.
    13. Select OK.
    14. Select OK.
    15. Select Close.
    16. Close the Network Connections window.
    17. Close the Network and Sharing Center window.
    18. Right click the network icon.
    19. Select troubleshoot problems.
    20. You will receive an error DHCP is not enabled.
    21. Select Try these repairs as an administrator.
    22. Select Apply the fix.

    If your issue is similar to mine, this should fix the DHCP error and resolve the network connectivity issue, and did so on my computer (custom with Gigabyte Z77X-UP4TH motherboard). The issue appears to be related to the updated Realtek network driver.

    This is a link to the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series Drivers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-29T14:33:13+00:00

    The bottom line is...I NEVER thought there could be a worse OS than XP....then Windows 7 came along. then i NEVER thought there could be a worse OS than Windows 7...then Windows 8 came along. Imagine, i have to check my email on my phone because I have no internet on my home computer! February 2015...my 2 year contract with Verizon runs out (and my brand new Toshiba with Win8, already almost worthless, will be old)...then i make the switch to all Apple...phone, notebook, tablet...will be $$$ but goodbye to Microsh*t forever!!!

    and dont say I hate all systems, because i had almost zero problems with Windows 95, 98, 2000, etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments