Getting Error message" the MFC-7860DW LAN cannot be found" when scanning

Anonymous
2012-10-13T19:00:44+00:00

Original title: Brother MFC-7860DW All-in-One Printer problem after Windows update

Shortly after I installed an update through Windows for my Brother multi-function printer, I couldn't scan documents from my wireless printer to my Toshiba laptop.  I got an error message saying "the MFC-7860DW LAN cannot be found."  Yet the wireless connection between the printer and router is fine, and I can print from my computer just fine also.  I've been doing this for a long time so I something had to have happened recently.  The update supposedly came from Brother.  I've talked with the Brother support and they gave me a way to scan from the computer using Windows Fax & Scanner, but I really need to be able to do this from the printer itself.

I've reset the PC back to a restore point before I did the Windows update, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software 3 times, including making the connection with the wireless system, all with no effect.  When I check the Brother Installation Diagnostics file, it shows that the scanner driver failed to install or connect.  All other drivers installed fine.

Any ideas how to get my scanner driver to install?  Thanks!

Windows for home | Other | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-03-09T12:49:21+00:00

After trying the solutions given here and at other sites I came to this solution that worked fine for me:

clearing in c:\users"your own name"\appdata\local\temp the following files:

twain.log, twain001.mtx, twunk001.mtx and twunk002.mtx.

After this all worked again as expected, in Irfanview all my (possible) Twain-devices were given again to select from where before the selection box was empty.

Photocopier worked again and of course my Brother (DCP-J752DW) was reacting again with the cc4-control center!

Mind you: I have tried all other solutions inclusive de-installing and re-installing, clearing registry with CCleaner and so on with no succes so in my opinion:

The only thing you need to do is to clear the abovementioned files or anyothers with twain and twunk in the name and or with the mtx extension.

The reason for the problem? Probably somehow a security issue but how, why, when I don't know!

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-15T04:44:11+00:00

Try Ronald ron's answer

Altho, ccleaner's reg cleaner can wipe valid reg entries sometimes. So, I dont know if I would use that

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-08-10T18:59:20+00:00

    Original title: Brother MFC-7860DW All-in-One Printer problem after Windows update

    Shortly after I installed an update through Windows for my Brother multi-function printer, I couldn't scan documents from my wireless printer to my Toshiba laptop.  I got an error message saying "the MFC-7860DW LAN cannot be found."  Yet the wireless connection between the printer and router is fine, and I can print from my computer just fine also.  I've been doing this for a long time so I something had to have happened recently.  The update supposedly came from Brother.  I've talked with the Brother support and they gave me a way to scan from the computer using Windows Fax & Scanner, but I really need to be able to do this from the printer itself.

    I've reset the PC back to a restore point before I did the Windows update, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software 3 times, including making the connection with the wireless system, all with no effect.  When I check the Brother Installation Diagnostics file, it shows that the scanner driver failed to install or connect.  All other drivers installed fine.

    Any ideas how to get my scanner driver to install?  Thanks!

    Same here:  I had went to scan something, having not touched the scanner for a while, and behold I get an error: 

    "Failed to connect to the device.

    -If the device is OFF, turn ON the device.

    -Check the I/F cable connected between the device and your computer

    -If the device is working with another job, wait until the job finishes and try again.

    [TW006]"

    I have been reading this whole post to figure out the same issues. I saw Rein's post on March 9th:

    "After trying the solutions given here and at other sites I came to this solution that worked fine for me:

    clearing in c:\users"your own name"\appdata\local\temp the following files:

    twain.log, twain001.mtx, twunk001.mtx and twunk002.mtx."

    I even read Ron's post to see if that might work but it seemed too extensive for me to do and might put my computer-savvy fiance up to the task.

    I currently did restore to machine default and restore to network default, restart computer, uninstall MFC software, reinstall MFC software, install updated ControlCenter4 and Firmware Updates from the main site, Run CCcleaner. Restart Computer. 

    I can now scan from the computer using the controlCenter4 application, but cannot scan using the touch panel and getting this additional error from it

    "Scanning Failed

    Please try to scan the image again, if the error happens again please restart your computer, and then try to scan again.

    (CC4-205-00000011)"

    Anyone can suggest anything that would be great. I had wasted 4 hours already...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-09T21:32:54+00:00

    I had all the same issues, I have Windows 8.1 x64. I tried ron's fix and that didn't work. weirdly I had the opposite of above my post, the button worked but cc4 didn't. on a whim I modified the security of c:\users[user name]\appdata\temp to include full access to EVERYONE. CC4 started working.

    hope it helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-19T06:40:13+00:00

    Thank you for sharing this information with us. It is appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments