Getting Error message" the MFC-7860DW LAN cannot be found" when scanning

Anonymous
2012-10-13T19:00:44+00:00

Original title: Brother MFC-7860DW All-in-One Printer problem after Windows update

Shortly after I installed an update through Windows for my Brother multi-function printer, I couldn't scan documents from my wireless printer to my Toshiba laptop.  I got an error message saying "the MFC-7860DW LAN cannot be found."  Yet the wireless connection between the printer and router is fine, and I can print from my computer just fine also.  I've been doing this for a long time so I something had to have happened recently.  The update supposedly came from Brother.  I've talked with the Brother support and they gave me a way to scan from the computer using Windows Fax & Scanner, but I really need to be able to do this from the printer itself.

I've reset the PC back to a restore point before I did the Windows update, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software 3 times, including making the connection with the wireless system, all with no effect.  When I check the Brother Installation Diagnostics file, it shows that the scanner driver failed to install or connect.  All other drivers installed fine.

Any ideas how to get my scanner driver to install?  Thanks!

Windows for home | Other | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-03-09T12:49:21+00:00

After trying the solutions given here and at other sites I came to this solution that worked fine for me:

clearing in c:\users"your own name"\appdata\local\temp the following files:

twain.log, twain001.mtx, twunk001.mtx and twunk002.mtx.

After this all worked again as expected, in Irfanview all my (possible) Twain-devices were given again to select from where before the selection box was empty.

Photocopier worked again and of course my Brother (DCP-J752DW) was reacting again with the cc4-control center!

Mind you: I have tried all other solutions inclusive de-installing and re-installing, clearing registry with CCleaner and so on with no succes so in my opinion:

The only thing you need to do is to clear the abovementioned files or anyothers with twain and twunk in the name and or with the mtx extension.

The reason for the problem? Probably somehow a security issue but how, why, when I don't know!

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-15T04:44:11+00:00

Try Ronald ron's answer

Altho, ccleaner's reg cleaner can wipe valid reg entries sometimes. So, I dont know if I would use that

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-12-21T17:15:43+00:00

    I don't normally reply to these things, but I wanted to add an brief testimonial stating that this 100% works!!! Although I have a different model printer (MFC-J4410DW), this method can clearly be used for all models if you are experiencing the error message listed above. As soon as I deleted those 4 temp files, my scanning function immediately started working with NO PROBLEM. I would have NEVER figured this one out, so I tip my hat off to this person and I thank you VERY MUCH. I was about to re-install everything which would have been a real pain in the butt. So, I'm glad I didn't have to do that and I decided to do a search for this message online. I had been scratching my head for 3 hours as to why my printer wasn't scanning. Glad to have it solved. Happy Holidays!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-29T23:53:32+00:00

    Awesome!  I can't figure out why this occurred either, but yur solution worked PERFECTLY!  Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-02-04T20:21:13+00:00

    Thank you rein51, this indeed cured the same issue with my MFC-9130CW.

    The issue just started today, so with your comment, I deleted those files and now the printer scans to my PC (Win 7).

    Kevin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments