Getting Error message" the MFC-7860DW LAN cannot be found" when scanning

Anonymous
2012-10-13T19:00:44+00:00

Original title: Brother MFC-7860DW All-in-One Printer problem after Windows update

Shortly after I installed an update through Windows for my Brother multi-function printer, I couldn't scan documents from my wireless printer to my Toshiba laptop.  I got an error message saying "the MFC-7860DW LAN cannot be found."  Yet the wireless connection between the printer and router is fine, and I can print from my computer just fine also.  I've been doing this for a long time so I something had to have happened recently.  The update supposedly came from Brother.  I've talked with the Brother support and they gave me a way to scan from the computer using Windows Fax & Scanner, but I really need to be able to do this from the printer itself.

I've reset the PC back to a restore point before I did the Windows update, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software 3 times, including making the connection with the wireless system, all with no effect.  When I check the Brother Installation Diagnostics file, it shows that the scanner driver failed to install or connect.  All other drivers installed fine.

Any ideas how to get my scanner driver to install?  Thanks!

Windows for home | Other | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-03-09T12:49:21+00:00

After trying the solutions given here and at other sites I came to this solution that worked fine for me:

clearing in c:\users"your own name"\appdata\local\temp the following files:

twain.log, twain001.mtx, twunk001.mtx and twunk002.mtx.

After this all worked again as expected, in Irfanview all my (possible) Twain-devices were given again to select from where before the selection box was empty.

Photocopier worked again and of course my Brother (DCP-J752DW) was reacting again with the cc4-control center!

Mind you: I have tried all other solutions inclusive de-installing and re-installing, clearing registry with CCleaner and so on with no succes so in my opinion:

The only thing you need to do is to clear the abovementioned files or anyothers with twain and twunk in the name and or with the mtx extension.

The reason for the problem? Probably somehow a security issue but how, why, when I don't know!

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-15T04:44:11+00:00

Try Ronald ron's answer

Altho, ccleaner's reg cleaner can wipe valid reg entries sometimes. So, I dont know if I would use that

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-29T04:18:46+00:00

    I just had the same issue with a Brother MFC-J470DW. Couldn't figure out what was causing Scan to trigger an LAN cant be found error suddenly after a recent windows update.

    Spent most of the day trying to resolve until I found the above tip.

    Ran CC Cleaner to clean the registry (I know, some risk was identified using that but I took the chance) and now it scans just like before. While this tip was originally posted in 2013 and its 2015 now this worked for the recent issue. I'm running win 7 64bit.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-17T01:51:29+00:00

    Your an absolute legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It Worked worked worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-10T00:13:26+00:00

    Thank you for this fix as it worked great...... After some digging i finally realized that I had to show "hidden files" to find the appdata folder............ lol .... But after that works perfect now.......

    Thank you........

    Go Bruins.......... 

    This fix actually works perfect :-)  

    After trying the solutions given here and at other sites I came to this solution that worked fine for me:

    clearing in c:\users"your own name"\appdata\local\temp the following files:

    twain.log, twain001.mtx, twunk001.mtx and twunk002.mtx.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments