Getting Error message" the MFC-7860DW LAN cannot be found" when scanning

Anonymous
2012-10-13T19:00:44+00:00

Original title: Brother MFC-7860DW All-in-One Printer problem after Windows update

Shortly after I installed an update through Windows for my Brother multi-function printer, I couldn't scan documents from my wireless printer to my Toshiba laptop.  I got an error message saying "the MFC-7860DW LAN cannot be found."  Yet the wireless connection between the printer and router is fine, and I can print from my computer just fine also.  I've been doing this for a long time so I something had to have happened recently.  The update supposedly came from Brother.  I've talked with the Brother support and they gave me a way to scan from the computer using Windows Fax & Scanner, but I really need to be able to do this from the printer itself.

I've reset the PC back to a restore point before I did the Windows update, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the printer software 3 times, including making the connection with the wireless system, all with no effect.  When I check the Brother Installation Diagnostics file, it shows that the scanner driver failed to install or connect.  All other drivers installed fine.

Any ideas how to get my scanner driver to install?  Thanks!

Windows for home | Other | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-03-09T12:49:21+00:00

After trying the solutions given here and at other sites I came to this solution that worked fine for me:

clearing in c:\users"your own name"\appdata\local\temp the following files:

twain.log, twain001.mtx, twunk001.mtx and twunk002.mtx.

After this all worked again as expected, in Irfanview all my (possible) Twain-devices were given again to select from where before the selection box was empty.

Photocopier worked again and of course my Brother (DCP-J752DW) was reacting again with the cc4-control center!

Mind you: I have tried all other solutions inclusive de-installing and re-installing, clearing registry with CCleaner and so on with no succes so in my opinion:

The only thing you need to do is to clear the abovementioned files or anyothers with twain and twunk in the name and or with the mtx extension.

The reason for the problem? Probably somehow a security issue but how, why, when I don't know!

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-15T04:44:11+00:00

Try Ronald ron's answer

Altho, ccleaner's reg cleaner can wipe valid reg entries sometimes. So, I dont know if I would use that

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-10-16T23:29:58+00:00

    Ron's answer worked for me!  One day last week I found that I could not scan a document from my Brother MFC-7860DW to my Toshiba laptop after many successful and simple scans before.  No idea what happened (although I suspect a Windows update for my printer that I ran -- big mistake), but uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work as the Installation Diagnostics showed that the scanner driver failed to install.  No luck fixing on my own or with the Brother tech support.  This referral from Ron saved me.  I had done a lot of this work already but clearing out a lot of things (temp files, registry) is probably what did the trip.  Kudos to RON!!

    Plus I find that CCleaner does lots of other stuff, including uninstalling some Scan Soft software that Windows couldn't "find."   I'm going to try the Defrag software that the CC people have too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-10-15T04:35:17+00:00

    I am using Windows 7 x64.  I don’t know what the KB # is for the update.  The error message read "Brother error: CC4-202-00000008.  MFC-7860DW LAN cannot be found."

    Today I uninstalled the Brother software, then moved the printer next to my PC and reinstalled it using the USB connection.  Then it wouldn’t have to find the LAN (which it always could, based on all the diagnostics I ran).  Hooked that up and tried to scan from the printer to the PC (Toshiba laptop).  I get the message "Connecting to PC" on the printer for about 1 minute, then it times out and beeps.  NO error message at all!  Just won’t do it.

    BTW:  The Brother Installation Diagnostics still shows that the Scanner installed failed and connection failed.  All the other aspects (printer and fax-sent/receive) show a correct install and connection.  Something is blocking the scanner driver from installing off my software disk!  Any ideas?  Thanks.

    Damon Fool

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-10-14T08:39:38+00:00

    Hello Damon Fool,

    Thank you for asking the Question!

    It was disheartening to know that you face issues with Scanning . As I get it right you get an error message " the MFC-7860DW LAN cannot be found" when scanning.

    I need to ask you a few questions in order to assist you in a better way.

    1. Which operating system is installed on the computer?
    2. What is the KB(Knowledge Base) number associated with the Windows Update?

    Perform steps from the link and check.

    http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/us/us/en/faq/faq/000000/002600/000037/faq002637_000.html?reg=us&prod=mfc7345n_us&c=us&lang=en

    Reply to us if you face any issues with Scanning  or any other Windows Issue, and I would be glad to assist you again and try to rectify the issue as early as possible.

    Have a nice day!

    Hope this information helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments