Error number: 0x80244019 in Windows XP Home SP2

Anonymous
2012-09-22T08:27:10+00:00

I just clean installed Win XP Home Edition Version 2002 SP 2 on a Dell Dimension 2400.

I am trying to install windows updates but I get Error number: 0x80244019.

I am able to browse the web through internet explorer on this computer. Connection is fine.

Please suggest how I can access windows updates? I would like to install Service Pack 3.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-09-22T12:10:08+00:00

Hi,

Install SP3 by downloading and running from...

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=24

You can ignore the text that says that it is for network installations and also ignore the text advising Windows/Microsoft Update if only updating one PC.

Whether this will solve the 0x80244019 error is not certain. I know it will solve other errors but I have no specific knowledge of whether it will solve this error so please would you be kind enough to report back to us about this?

Tricky

EDIT: Many people are now reporting that SP3 does solve Windows Update error 0x80244019

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-13T04:52:55+00:00

    Hi,

    Install SP3 by downloading and running from...

    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=24

    You can ignore the text that says that it is for network installations and also ignore the text advising Windows/Microsoft Update if only updating one PC.

    Whether this will solve the 0x80244019 error is not certain. I know it will solve other errors but I have no specific knowledge of whether it will solve this error so please would you be kind enough to report back to us about this?

    Tricky

    Hi, Tricky

    I downloaded SP3 from the link you provided. Just before the installer was about to start I got an error message giving me a long file path  "c:\Documents and Settings\Meridius\My documents\Downloads\WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-SNU.exe is not a valid Win32 Application" It will not let me download this SP. Please help me out!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-13T10:03:06+00:00

    Please try downloading with a different browser. If that doesn't work try downloading at a different PC and saving to a USB stick or other transferrable medium. Run from this medium on the PC to be upgraded.

    Tricky

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-13T23:46:14+00:00

    THANK YOU Tricky !!!!  i spent all day on pc recovery, which moved my computer back to 2003, and couldn't figure out why nothing would work to update windows until i found your 1st answer and link. Worked great; i'm happy again!   Herb

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-11-13T23:54:21+00:00

    I am glad to have been of assistance.

    Tricky

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments