How to move User folders to 2nd drive in Windows 8?

Anonymous
2012-11-12T16:38:04+00:00

I am posting on behalf of a customer.

His C drive's a SSD & which is not big enough for all his music,photos,video and download files. Is there a way to move user files to a second drive?

Please comment with any information or suggestions.

Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-17T04:04:08+00:00

    So I had this happen to me while moving folders to a second partition (E:) :

    I moved the video folder directly on E:\ and now it thinks it is a partition and the E:\ partition thinks it's also the video folder! If I try to restore the default location of the video folder, it refuses to do so because it thinks it's moving the location of the partition : "Failed to build the list of the regular subdirectories under E:\System Volume Information. Access is denied". If I try deleting the partition, I still can't change the path of the videos folder. If I try to move the path to a folder in E:, I get the "cannot move a parent into a child" error message. This looks like it's gonna be a major issue at some point and I'd like to fix it before I continue installing software (I just bought it).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-20T22:16:42+00:00

    Hey Kathleen. I made the same mistake with my recently purchased ultra book. The only like was able to fix this was by restoring system to an earlier state. As I was still setting up my pc  I just had to install a few software again. After restoring the partition was still there but the error disappeared.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-16T08:54:43+00:00

    That was very helpful. Easy and quick!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-11-04T04:43:17+00:00

    My version of windows (8.1) doesn't have a "my documents" and there seems to be so many suggestions? i bought my computer with a partitioned? internal hard drive...c and d and want to move all of my data onto the D: drive.  i thought the guy at the computer store had already helped me set this up but when i noticed the usage under file explorer, everything is on my c: drive and nothing on my d: drive.

    so this means my files, music, photos etc and dropbox are all on my c drive which is much smaller than my d drive.

    i found this article on moving dropbox... https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/89

    but how do i move all my data / files to the d drive without screwing up the dropbox move? do I move this PC (which I assume has my user profiles, all data) or do I just move something else

    please help....i'm not a computer person...

    Thanks!

    Cindy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments