The entire user profile/directory can be moved using this method - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4275-user-profiles-relocate-another-partition-disk.html
How to move User folders to 2nd drive in Windows 8?
I am posting on behalf of a customer.
His C drive's a SSD & which is not big enough for all his music,photos,video and download files. Is there a way to move user files to a second drive?
Please comment with any information or suggestions.
Thank you.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2014-03-08T01:51:52+00:00 Well said. There is surely a reason they stopped naming Windows versions by years. I expect it is because it is a disgrace, especially for such expensive software. Microsoft: Remember when you bought NTFS from HP and Oracle, because they had so many problems with it? Well, now it is proprietary, and you are the owner, so get your **** together. I've PERSONALLY written better file system drivers than this.
-
Anonymous
2014-03-14T03:12:08+00:00 Hi,
I was able to move My Documents, Pictures, Desktop, Videos.. using the method right click/property/Location.
But it seems this method does not work for the Downloads folder.
First it seems it had moved, but then when I downloaded a picture, it created a new Downloads folder on the C:\ drive under user. This is where it downloaded the file and not on the moved Downloads folder on the 2nd HDD.
Any idea why and how to resolve it?
Also if go back to the original Download folder and select "Default" on the Property/Location tab, the additional Downloads folder and the Download folder on the 2nd HDD merge back into one original Downloads folder on C:\ drive under user.
Thanks in advance
-
Anonymous
2014-03-15T09:21:34+00:00 HiYa PB,
I have just double checked my D-drive and if you double click on "users" in D-drive and if you are the same as me you will find your downloads there.
-
Anonymous
2014-04-17T19:24:22+00:00 Hi,
Thank you for choosing Windows 8 and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you.
As per the description provided, it looks like you are trying to changes the user location path. You can't move the entire 'Users' stuff but you can redirect 'My Documents' to another drive which will save the disc space.
This will help the user is he is trying to save anything on the documents it will save on the new location.
Refer the steps mention below:
a. Open up the Explorer (Windows Key + E).
b. Expand Documents folder to see the folder My Documents in the sidebar.
c. Right-click on the folder My Documents and click on “Properties”.
d. Go to the tab “Location”.
e. Click on the button Move.
f. Navigate to the folder where you want to move your “My Documents” folder to.
g. After clicking on Select Folder in we’re back on the folder location screen. Eventually, to move the My Documents folder, click on Apply.
h. Confirm the prompt with yes if you are sure that you want to move the My Documents folder.
If you have any other questions or you need any other information about Windows, feel free to post your questions and we will be glad to help.
Vijin V,
I have the same need to move "Documents", "Music", "Pictures", "Music" folders to my D Drive (C drive is an SSD dedicated for OS and Apps). I just installed Win 8.1 with Update on my totally new Dell XPS 8700. During my upgrade to Win 8.1 with Update the view in Explorer changed. There are no longer any "My Documents", "My Picture", etc. When I click "This PC" I see "Documents", "Pictures", etc. When I click for example "Documents" the folder is empty. In your instructions above your suggest to go for example the "My Documents" folder and move it to the desired location.
Can you clarify what changed in Win8.1 Update and provide revised instruction to move the folders to the desired drive. Further, the home "Target" location for the these folders listed under "This PC" are all in C:/user/user name/. In your instructions, be specific which folder locations you are referring to; the ones under "This PC" or C:/user/user name/