The entire user profile/directory can be moved using this method - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4275-user-profiles-relocate-another-partition-disk.html
How to move User folders to 2nd drive in Windows 8?
I am posting on behalf of a customer.
His C drive's a SSD & which is not big enough for all his music,photos,video and download files. Is there a way to move user files to a second drive?
Please comment with any information or suggestions.
Thank you.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2013-03-06T17:36:51+00:00 I follow the steps but I do not see the "locations" tab, it simply isn't there.
-
Anonymous
2013-03-06T17:57:00+00:00 There is a "Location" tab in the properties of an ítem INSIDE a Library. For example, when you expand the "Documents" Library you can see the Location of every ítem in the library.
Vijin, since you answered to this thread I guess you are following it. The question is not how to move the ítems inside the Libraries, it is to move THE ENTIRE Users folder from the SSD to another drive.
Yesterday I found an undocumented and I guess "not suppoted" way to do this. It involved restart Windows in Audit mode and use Robocopy to copy the entire folder, but I read up to there because I don´t have much time now.
I guess the problema is, as in my case, that the hidden "AppData" folder is several Gigs in size, and we want no to have all that "useless" (for the user) space using valuable space in the SSD.
-
Anonymous
2013-03-22T06:54:02+00:00 Hi, I desperately want to do this as well for my Windows 8 Pro, the entire User folder. My problem with the undocumented recovery mode robocopy method is that for whatever reason the permission settings aren't kept. Any other user is able to delete another's user account folder!
Basically, I want to clone the permissions of my primary SSD (C:) onto my secondary HDD (D:), and have my User folder under D:\ instead of C:\ (the robocopy and linking method from C:\ to D:\ sounded great). Anyways, I also tried to manually clone the C:\ permissions onto D:, and then do the robocopy, but then when I restarted I couldn't log into my account anymore. :(
This would seriously be a killer feature for me. There is no way to host several decent size VMs all on my SSD.
-
Anonymous
2013-04-02T02:08:10+00:00 Here's how i fixed it:
I went to the place I wanted "my documents" to be and created a folder called "my documents" then
I went to the start menu and typed 'regedit' and hit enter
Back up your registry for safety purpose
To back up registry
http://mywindows8.org/backup-registry-in-windows-8/
Open registry win+R->regedit [enter key will open registry]
Now navigate to
HKEY_Current_User\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\user shell folders
In the viewing area of the registry editor, there is an entry called "Personal"
Right now it should say something like the drive letter you accidentally changed your "my documents" to.
double click on the "personal" entry and rename the folder to point to where you created the "my documents" folder at the top of this message.
Click ok. Now nothing looks like it has changed but...
restart the computer.
now log back in and it should be good to go in the location you were looking for.