How to move User folders to 2nd drive in Windows 8?

Anonymous
2012-11-12T16:38:04+00:00

I am posting on behalf of a customer.

His C drive's a SSD & which is not big enough for all his music,photos,video and download files. Is there a way to move user files to a second drive?

Please comment with any information or suggestions.

Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-13T17:13:04+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-21T06:29:18+00:00

    I've been using this method on my Windows 7 computer for years, and it has worked perfectly.  I loved it.  When I upgraded to Windows 8, I did the same thing, but none of my METRO apps would work.  I tried every solution, but for some reason having the Windows folder and the User folders on different drives will make problems with the METRO apps. 

    Because the METRO apps wouldn't work, I couldn't upgrade to Windows 8.1.  I had to reinstall Windows 8 just to get the Windows store and my PC Settings to work, but now I lost all of my software... including my free licence for Catia, which I got during a promotion for students that is no longer going on.

    I wish I never upgraded.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-18T12:00:29+00:00

    Simply UNACCEPTABLE that you cannot move the entire USERS directory to another drive. Not only is this method inefficient because you have to do this for every single user (not a global way) but you are actually suggesting that most of the space users in the USERS Directory are located in those folders that are relocatable (My Documents, My Pictures, etc).

    We are in 2013, where many people buy those expensive and space limited SSDs in order to get windows to boot faster and other applications to run faster. My entire USERS directory has 19 gigs of stuff in it and most of it, 90%, is located OUTSIDE of the folders you are offering to relocate.. Its been years now that people requested a way to move what is now known as the Users directory since Windows 7...

    The only way to do this properly is through the SYSPREP method. However, if you create a restore point or upgrade your windows from lets say 8.0 to 8.1, you cannot use it anymore! I am one of these people who, had his USERS folder relocated on another HDD with Windows 8.0. I was forced to move them back to my C: drive because Windows 8.1 would not install, saying the USERS FOLDER was on another partition. HOW RIDICULOUS IS THAT??? Very poor engineering if you ask me.

    Get into the 21st century and actually FIX THIS PROBLEM and allow people to move their Users folder where they want. There are risks yes, some people might relocate their Users directory on an external USB drive that when removed would cause problem but this is simply something that you have to ALERT PEOPLE when they wish to move their USERS FOLDER.

    FIX THIS ASAP!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-10-14T16:23:32+00:00

    help me.. accidentally put all my libraries folder in drive d: (my documents, my pictures, my videos and my music) now I cannot separate them..  every time I changes one of my folder locations every thing change to the folder I specify.. please help me..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments