Error: Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart when starting Windows

Anonymous
2012-01-11T19:00:07+00:00

Hello,

I receive the error “Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart” when I start Windows. I have found the issue but I don’t see a good solution. What’s the best way to fix this issue?

Thanks

LD

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-11T19:03:00+00:00

Hello LD,

This message usually indicates that the boot sector is damaged or missing. The boot sector is a region of your hard disk that contains information that is used to load your operating system. If a boot failure is detected when your PC is starting, you may receive this error message.

To resolve this issue, use the steps in the following KB article:

You receive Error message: “Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart” when starting Windows 

Hope this helps,

Bobby

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-05T21:09:12+00:00

    OK you can remove this file just now by the “Duplicate Files Deleter” from. Try it now http://DuplicateFilesDeleter.com. It may be able to be removed/ delete this file from your hard drive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-14T19:49:17+00:00

    Im attempting a fix on a hp pavillion g7-1329wm notebook pc that has avg, all updates etc. This machines error was caused by attempting a factory reset while an av boot cd was still in the drive, bios set to boot from cd/dvd etc. just sayin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-11T00:50:43+00:00

    Okay, I am encountering this problem, but in a somewhat unique situation. I got my hands on an older Dell machine with no HDD. I put one that I know works, which was completely formatted and empty, in, connected everything and whatnot, and went to the BIOS to make the boot priority CD/DVD drive. The Machine acknowledges the presence of the disk drive but will not display a "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" message as my other machines do, it simply displays the "BOOTMGR is missing, press Ctrl Alt Del to restart" message, and yes, the disc is in the drive. 

    I'm out of ideas.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-04T00:58:04+00:00

    Hi Bobby,

    I dont have windows 7 disc as OS came preinstalled in my laptop. Please help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments