Error: Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart when starting Windows

Anonymous
2012-01-11T19:00:07+00:00

Hello,

I receive the error “Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart” when I start Windows. I have found the issue but I don’t see a good solution. What’s the best way to fix this issue?

Thanks

LD

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-11T19:03:00+00:00

Hello LD,

This message usually indicates that the boot sector is damaged or missing. The boot sector is a region of your hard disk that contains information that is used to load your operating system. If a boot failure is detected when your PC is starting, you may receive this error message.

To resolve this issue, use the steps in the following KB article:

You receive Error message: “Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart” when starting Windows 

Hope this helps,

Bobby

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-27T21:19:48+00:00

    I ususally find a way to messup  MS in bizaare ways. Probably my history as their birth caused us to get off a mainframe onto 8" floppies. In one case, on an Asus 18.9" 64 bit Windows Home Premium, with (past tense) 4 partitions, I can get to the Bios but it is stuck on a setting called "Don't Boot" or the equivalent. I suppose they have their reasoins. There are no other options, even if I could get away from that one, which I can't. The ethernet connection won't work of course. I know this response is late.

    It's past warranty I'm sure so maybe I'll give Geeksquad or J&R a try.  I won't use Staples anymore after, and you really can't believe this, I went in a week after I'm fairly sure I left something I bought there (I know. A week) and one of the two new people there said he was going into another room (Where?) to look at the Surveillance footage from that day a week before! I thought I was in a casino, and waited at least a hald an hour! I talked later to someone who, and it's obvious anyway, said no way. On a roll here. I also did something brilliant with a Toshiba Qosimo same specs, except one partition only, and tried pluugin the power into a USB mutli port adapter when it was in and on. Zap. Nothing. The Motherboard maybe? I'll get to that soon as well! I've tris almost every book disk I can find or make. Even the reliable English ones were of no use. They were on 1.44 mb but floppies saved my day more than once.

    I wasn't sure how all this worked here on this Thread and haven't been in my Hotmail for a while. Excuse me and thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-26T01:38:36+00:00

    it is next to imposible to offer help when the  pc make ,model ,ram ,and win ? bit ? are not known .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-25T20:09:46+00:00

    hi there,

    i did step 4 and thats how i got to where i am now. bootmsg missing. so what do i do now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-05-16T23:21:02+00:00

    Wow, just, wow, they are reliable but they are nowhere near as cool as a windows pc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments