Error: Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart when starting Windows

Anonymous
2012-01-11T19:00:07+00:00

Hello,

I receive the error “Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart” when I start Windows. I have found the issue but I don’t see a good solution. What’s the best way to fix this issue?

Thanks

LD

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-11T19:03:00+00:00

Hello LD,

This message usually indicates that the boot sector is damaged or missing. The boot sector is a region of your hard disk that contains information that is used to load your operating system. If a boot failure is detected when your PC is starting, you may receive this error message.

To resolve this issue, use the steps in the following KB article:

You receive Error message: “Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart” when starting Windows 

Hope this helps,

Bobby

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-06T20:43:48+00:00

    When tryint to use the recovery partition of the HP pavilion dv7 the automated process first wipes the "C" hard drive. This is why you are getting the Bootmgr missing message... that file has been erased along with everything else on your "C" hard drive.

    There is apparently a glitch when trying to load the operating system from the partition. That glitch results in the "error 1002".

    I am in the process of trying to get HP to react to this problem, which is a manufacturing defect, either with the software (probably) or hardware (though I can't see how a hardware problem could cause this, I also can't rule it out as a possibility).

    There is nothing you can do except get a CD or DVD that can boot your system. Even if you had made the recovery CD as HP recommends, I have seen MANY instances on the internet where these recovery CDs are also failing.

    While I am going through the process of forcing HP to do something I will likely order their recovery CD package to get the computer up and running... but I have also run into posts about the HP recovery CDs failing in this same manner.

    Good luck.

    Whether or not you get your laptop to work again, you should file an FTC complaint and maybe get a recall or company-paid-for-fix for all the Pavilion dv7 and dv6 notebook owners that are still out there struggling with this problem or yet to struggle with this problem.

    Michael Polidori

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-02T19:11:34+00:00

    Bobby, when I press F8 I hear a clicking sound and the menu will not start up...any suggestions

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-01T21:11:47+00:00

    i ran into this problem this morning and i tried all the steps in a few articles windows repair,dos commands etc, but to no avail. so i installed windows on a different partition. after it finished installing and reboot, i got to the screen where i could choose which Windows 7 i wanted to start. i picked the second option, it read windows 7 (recovered), and it booted up after a few restarts. it seems that i had a power surge while windows did an automatic update and borked my bootmgr file. the reason i had it auto restarted was to finish applying windows updates.so if any of you run into this problem try this, to save having to start from scratch.

    short version

    install windows on a different partition

    after the first restart, choose the second option for OS it should read (recovered)

    it may do a few restarts so be at the computer to keep choosing the second option

    breathe a sigh of relief

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments