Error: Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart when starting Windows

Anonymous
2012-01-11T19:00:07+00:00

Hello,

I receive the error “Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart” when I start Windows. I have found the issue but I don’t see a good solution. What’s the best way to fix this issue?

Thanks

LD

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-11T19:03:00+00:00

Hello LD,

This message usually indicates that the boot sector is damaged or missing. The boot sector is a region of your hard disk that contains information that is used to load your operating system. If a boot failure is detected when your PC is starting, you may receive this error message.

To resolve this issue, use the steps in the following KB article:

You receive Error message: “Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart” when starting Windows 

Hope this helps,

Bobby

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-09T01:54:15+00:00

    Hello,

    I receive the error “Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart” when I start Windows. I have found the issue but I don’t see a good solution. What’s the best way to fix this issue?

    Thanks

    LD

    On start up I receive the bootmgr is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart

    I can hit esc and go to boot menu

    at boot device I can click st31000528as return and computer comes up

    I tried several of the fixes but did not work do you have any suggestions?   Ralph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-05T21:35:15+00:00

    Okay, I am encountering this problem, but in a somewhat unique situation. I got my hands on an older Dell machine with no HDD. I put one that I know works, which was completely formatted and empty, in, connected everything and whatnot, and went to the BIOS to make the boot priority CD/DVD drive. The Machine acknowledges the presence of the disk drive but will not display a "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" message as my other machines do, it simply displays the "BOOTMGR is missing, press Ctrl Alt Del to restart" message, and yes, the disc is in the drive. 

    I'm out of ideas.

    I'm having the same problem. I have an old generic pc that I want to repurpose as a dedicated xp machine, in order to run a legacy program that cannot run on my Win 7 Home machine. MS won't allow me to download or install xp mode on this Home Premium machine, I can't even install a virtual disc on it, or at least I can't find any virtual software that will work; my one alternative seems to be to buy an upgrade to Win & professional, but I balk at spending $80 - $100 on an upgrade for an OS that will be phased out in a short time, just as XP was.

    The machine I want to use as an XP-only machine is a generic PC with 2Gb RAM, an 80Gb HDD, and an Intel 2.5 processor.

    Prior to this issue, I was running both XP and Win7Home in a dual-boot environment, with no problems.

    I then acquired a new case with a better board, better processor, sata and ide capable, and I got for it a new SSD. While building this new machine I cannibalized the old one, using two IDE drives from it, one with many of my programs and data, the other with (formerly) the XP and & OS.

    Rather than migrate a lot of trash and temp files onto the new ssd, I opted to do a clean install, and in the process, formatted the old drive that had held the 7 and XP dual-boot OS.

    I didn't realize at the time that MS had only recently ended all support for it's "XP Mode" software which was only intended to make things easier for corporate users to wean themselves over to Win 7 or above. 

    Ok, no problem, I'll simply reinstall the empty reformatted drive in the old box, then load my licensed XP OS onto it, then the ONE legacy program that I depend on most of all, and whose support ended many years ago, and which will not run on an OS newer than Win7. This dedicated XP machine was never going to see the internet, all I needed for it was to run my one essential but antique graphics program.

    Everything hooked up ready to go, I inserted my XP disc, and got the "boot mgr not found" message.

    I entered BIOS, should boot from the cd rom, but can't find the "boot mgr". Tried several old backup and recovery discs, still "can't find the boot mgr"

    All the helpful suggestions I have found are based on the fact that an installed OS cannot boot. I have no installed OS, I have an empty reformatted disc, an OS installation disc ought to be able to install, but does not.  I even went all the way back to y Win 95 installation disc, and several flavors of Linux, but nothing works because the "boot mgr is not found".

    Sorry for posting such a lengthy message, but I've hit a wall with this problem. If anyone has found a workaround for this boot mgr error, or if anyone knows a way to get the old JASC Paint Shop Pro 9.01 to run on a Window & Home Premium machine I would certainly appreciate the help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more