Where do I find a twain driver for the scanner?

Anonymous
2012-11-05T05:46:31+00:00

Original title : twain driver for Windows 8

After upgraded Win 8, my scanner didn't work. After checked, The problem come from twain driver. Pls help

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-12T01:41:04+00:00

Fixed mine. There are no Windows 8 drivers available on Canon's website or Windows Update. Follow these steps to install a Canoscan 8400F scanner under Windows 8 x64 in desktop mode:

(1) Download and install the Windows 7 x64 drivers from the Canon website.

(2) Launch Device Manager, right-click and uninstall any (?) unknown device, then rescan for new hardware and the Windows 7 x64 drivers will automatically install.

(3) Download and install the Canoscan Toolbox software from the Canon website.

(4) Launch the Canoscan Toolbox software, select Settings, and click the Reset button to repair the non-working Copy/Scan/PDF/Email scanner buttons.

(5) Reboot.

Button functionality is restored after the reboot. Everything works as designed now. Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-22T08:26:12+00:00

    My scanner is Canoscan8000f and I have the same problem that everybody else is getting. I can't get my windows 8 64 bit laptop to see the scanner. Canon are no help. They say that there are no drivers available and that they don't intend to provide one! I don't really understand this 'twain' business - I simply want to use my scanner!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-30T13:46:12+00:00

    My scanner is a CanoScan Lide 25. Windows 8.1, I see it in device manager, but cannot use it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-14T14:51:54+00:00

    I am running Windows 8.1 Pro and initially had the same problems with my CanoScan 5200F scanner. As per the contributor at the start of this discussion I downloaded and installed the 64 bit ScanGear driver. The system installed it OK but nothing seemed to see it using Twain. It was there in my devices and showed as working correctly but not with any twain compliant program. Previous versions of WIndows worked perfectly with PaintShop Pro as my image editor which was used to scan and edit using the twain driver. So I downloaded and installed the 64 bit CanoScan Toolbox, restarted the computer and then clicked on reset in the Canoscan Toolbox and voila, working. I set Paintshop Pro as my image editor in the Canoscan Toolbox options and all is usable now. Still can't use Paintshop Pro to initialise the scanning as it doesn't show up in the preferences dialog box but hey the CanoSacn toolbox does the job just fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-02T05:35:04+00:00

    Fixed mine. There are no Windows 8 drivers available on Canon's website or Windows Update. Follow these steps to install a Canoscan 8400F scanner under Windows 8 x64 in desktop mode:

    (1) Download and install the Windows 7 x64 drivers from the Canon website.

    (2) Launch Device Manager, right-click and uninstall any (?) unknown device, then rescan for new hardware and the Windows 7 x64 drivers will automatically install.

    (3) Download and install the Canoscan Toolbox software from the Canon website.

    (4) Launch the Canoscan Toolbox software, select Settings, and click the Reset button to repair the non-working Copy/Scan/PDF/Email scanner buttons.

    (5) Reboot.

    Button functionality is restored after the reboot. Everything works as designed now. Good luck!

    Azskygod: you are a Saint.  Thanks for your excellent advice!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments