Where do I find a twain driver for the scanner?

Anonymous
2012-11-05T05:46:31+00:00

Original title : twain driver for Windows 8

After upgraded Win 8, my scanner didn't work. After checked, The problem come from twain driver. Pls help

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-12T01:41:04+00:00

Fixed mine. There are no Windows 8 drivers available on Canon's website or Windows Update. Follow these steps to install a Canoscan 8400F scanner under Windows 8 x64 in desktop mode:

(1) Download and install the Windows 7 x64 drivers from the Canon website.

(2) Launch Device Manager, right-click and uninstall any (?) unknown device, then rescan for new hardware and the Windows 7 x64 drivers will automatically install.

(3) Download and install the Canoscan Toolbox software from the Canon website.

(4) Launch the Canoscan Toolbox software, select Settings, and click the Reset button to repair the non-working Copy/Scan/PDF/Email scanner buttons.

(5) Reboot.

Button functionality is restored after the reboot. Everything works as designed now. Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-12T00:36:54+00:00

    Me too - Dell XPS, Canon 9950F, 32 bit Windows 8. CanoScan Toolbox works fine, Twain driver won't install - Setup SG just goes away, and Photoshop sees no driver.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-10T21:33:25+00:00

    Same here: CanoScan 8400F + Windows 8 x64 = No Drivers, No Twain, and No Support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-01-05T13:37:09+00:00

    I too recently paid for the upgrade to Windows 8. I'm so frustrated with the USB drivers, and now my scanner. I've had to plug in my logitech keyboard and mouse again and again to get them to work. Thankfully that went away. Logitech's software and Microsoft's mouse stuff was conflicting somehow.

    Anyways, I too have a scanner issue. I tried to install drivers by changing the compatibility to Windows 7, but nothing. Also ran as administrator. Problem is, even on Windows 7 (my kid's computer the scanner isn't showing up either).

    • 1.What is the make and model of the scanner?
    • answer: Canon 9950F
      1. Do you receive any error code or message?
    • answer: CanoScan Toolbox says "unable to select TWAIN source"
    • Windows Fax and Scan says "No scanners were detected.... [instructions goes on about rebooting computer and to try help]
      1. What is the make and model of the computer?
    • answer: Custom Build - AMD Bulldozerwith MSI motherboard 990
      1. What happens if you try to scan?

    answer: Nothing

    Same issue with canonscan 5200F, working nice in XP and 7...unbelievable! canon says they will not support with an upgrade of the driver, but for me is at least strange that an USB device cannot work anymore!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-12-22T13:35:49+00:00

    I'm having the same problem with my HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium and Windows 8. PhotoShop sees the device in its import menu as HP Officejet Pro 8600 TWAIN, but when I click on it I get an error message that says:

    "Could not open the TWAIN source. Make sure there is a valid source for your scanner in the TWAIN directory found in the Windows directory."

    Within the Windows/Twain _32 directory is a folder called HP Officejet Pro 8600. Within that folder are three files: HPScanUI.dll (12,445 KB), hpxTwain.ds (467 KB) and ScanApp.ini (28 KB),

    I have no trouble printing to this printer from Windows 8.

    All scanning and faxing functions work properly from the printer's own screen.

    I get the same results whether I am connected to the printer via USB cable, Ethernet or WiFi.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments