Where do I find a twain driver for the scanner?

Anonymous
2012-11-05T05:46:31+00:00

Original title : twain driver for Windows 8

After upgraded Win 8, my scanner didn't work. After checked, The problem come from twain driver. Pls help

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-12T01:41:04+00:00

Fixed mine. There are no Windows 8 drivers available on Canon's website or Windows Update. Follow these steps to install a Canoscan 8400F scanner under Windows 8 x64 in desktop mode:

(1) Download and install the Windows 7 x64 drivers from the Canon website.

(2) Launch Device Manager, right-click and uninstall any (?) unknown device, then rescan for new hardware and the Windows 7 x64 drivers will automatically install.

(3) Download and install the Canoscan Toolbox software from the Canon website.

(4) Launch the Canoscan Toolbox software, select Settings, and click the Reset button to repair the non-working Copy/Scan/PDF/Email scanner buttons.

(5) Reboot.

Button functionality is restored after the reboot. Everything works as designed now. Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-10T15:08:32+00:00

    Sorry I have not been on here for some weeks.

    It is not possible to get the TWAIN driver to work, as far as I can find Microsoft have 'killed' TWAIN (it did not belong to them so has to go).

    The above process from k2Burt should (sorry, best I can say) get the Canoscan toolbox to work via its own direct (non-TWAIN) connection to the scanner, then you can setup the Toolbox so that 'SCAN1' button will do a scan and 'paste' the result into Photoshop (or whatever picture software you use). Not as easy as having the TWAIN interface but at least it works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-03T17:52:03+00:00

    in reply to Norman Crocker Feb 02 2015

    Many thanks for the suggestion and I'm very pleased to hear that it worked for you. I've been trying for 2 days now to do the same for my Canoscan 8000F but my 64 bit W8.1 laptop will not accept that the file downloaded from Canon USA (8400................64en.exe) is a driver. I cannot "get at" "SetupSG.exe" because the only options available on right clicking it result in it unzipping and apparently automatically running the installation. However it doesn't succeed in installing a twain driver (no mention of Twain in Windows System 32 and the scanner has the yellow !  remaining against it in Device Manager). The unzipped file now appears in "Downloads" as well as the original download but is just as useless. If I try using either of them via the "uninstall" and "update driver" route in Device Manager they aren't accepted as being a driver. Am I missing something? Incidentally, Canon does not offer a 64 bit driver for windows 7 in the UK - I think Canon must have persuaded Microsoft to insert code in a Windows update to prevent this from  working in the UK. Fortunately it works well with my 32 bit Windows 7 Desktop using Photoshop Elements 11 (with a "Plug in" provided by Adobe) or  Microsoft Document Scanning in my old XP Office Suite.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-02T12:14:59+00:00

    A huge 'thank you' to k2Burt.

    I have been trying for the last week to get my Canoscan 9950F working on Windows 8.1(64bit) without any success. After reading your post I removed everything I had tried and did as you say above - just substituting my model number 9950F for 8400F where appropriate

    • it all worked first time!  Scans direct from the Canoscan Toolbox straight into Photoshop. Only a shame that the TWAIN support is still missing and Canon care so little about thier customers that they will not provide this information them selves.

    Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-28T19:39:54+00:00

    Fixed mine. There are no Windows 8 drivers available on Canon's website or Windows Update. Follow these steps to install a Canoscan 8400F scanner under Windows 8 x64 in desktop mode:

    (1) Download and install the Windows 7 x64 drivers from the Canon website.

    (2) Launch Device Manager, right-click and uninstall any (?) unknown device, then rescan for new hardware and the Windows 7 x64 drivers will automatically install.

    (3) Download and install the Canoscan Toolbox software from the Canon website.

    (4) Launch the Canoscan Toolbox software, select Settings, and click the Reset button to repair the non-working Copy/Scan/PDF/Email scanner buttons.

    (5) Reboot.

    Button functionality is restored after the reboot. Everything works as designed now. Good luck!

    This doesn't work for Canoscan 800F on Windows 8.1 64 bit. The driver file from Canon (8000fvst8120a_xpen.exe) is just not recognised as a driver.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments