Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Anonymous
2012-11-05T02:40:10+00:00

My current username in Windows 8 is Danny.  The directory of my user folder is C:\Users\danch_000 .  This is annoying and driving me crazy.  I should also tell you this user is tied to my Microsoft Account.  On my Microsoft Account my Name is Danny.  How can I change the name of the folder without messing anything up in he registry or any other part of the computer.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-11-09T14:33:16+00:00

Ok dude... this is a hassle but it does work.

Summary:

You need to log in on a local admin account (create one if it does not exist already), delete your user account (Danny) and then rename the danch_000 folder to danny.old (I do this only so that you do not lose any data you may have already saved here. it is just a backup folder now)

then Create a new LOCAL user called Danny. Log into this user account and all the files will be under C:\Users\Danny.

Now you must go to pc settings and choose switch to Microsoft account.

Once the process is finished, you are using a Microsoft Live account, with the 'User' Displayed as your full name, but all the files are in a directory named 'Danny'

If this is too summarized for you and you need detailed instructions just post here and tell me, I am in the process of creating a guide for just this issue for my coworkers

Yrs Red

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-07T08:54:02+00:00

    My current username in Windows 8 is Danny.  The directory of my user folder is C:\Users\danch_000 .  This is annoying and driving me crazy.  I should also tell you this user is tied to my Microsoft Account.  On my Microsoft Account my Name is Danny.  How can I change the name of the folder without messing anything up in he registry or any other part of the computer.

    This laptop was previously used by someone named Macaulay, and despite changing the username to Danny, the C:\Users username folder was still called Macaulay.

    I simply added a new folder in C:\Users named 'Danny' - the exact name of the current username, then went into the Macaulay folder, pressed CTRL+A then CTRL+X, then exited back out, went into the new Danny folder, and pressed CTRL+V.

    I left the old folder in there, but it seemed that the moving of all files to the new folder updated the registry or something.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-02-27T05:00:27+00:00

    Much simple way. Go into your User Folder, create a new folder with the name you want, then copy everything from the folder you no longer wish to use. You're welcome.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-30T02:20:41+00:00

    My current username in Windows 8 is Danny.  The directory of my user folder is C:\Users\danch_000 .  This is annoying and driving me crazy.  I should also tell you this user is tied to my Microsoft Account.  On my Microsoft Account my Name is Danny.  How can I change the name of the folder without messing anything up in he registry or any other part of the computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-01T13:51:04+00:00

    In the first place, this issue shouldn't exists. Microsoft should fire the darn engineer who wrote this part of the code.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments