Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Anonymous
2012-11-05T02:40:10+00:00

My current username in Windows 8 is Danny.  The directory of my user folder is C:\Users\danch_000 .  This is annoying and driving me crazy.  I should also tell you this user is tied to my Microsoft Account.  On my Microsoft Account my Name is Danny.  How can I change the name of the folder without messing anything up in he registry or any other part of the computer.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-11-09T14:33:16+00:00

Ok dude... this is a hassle but it does work.

Summary:

You need to log in on a local admin account (create one if it does not exist already), delete your user account (Danny) and then rename the danch_000 folder to danny.old (I do this only so that you do not lose any data you may have already saved here. it is just a backup folder now)

then Create a new LOCAL user called Danny. Log into this user account and all the files will be under C:\Users\Danny.

Now you must go to pc settings and choose switch to Microsoft account.

Once the process is finished, you are using a Microsoft Live account, with the 'User' Displayed as your full name, but all the files are in a directory named 'Danny'

If this is too summarized for you and you need detailed instructions just post here and tell me, I am in the process of creating a guide for just this issue for my coworkers

Yrs Red

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-17T04:38:55+00:00

    Ok dude... this is a hassle but it does work.

     

    Summary:

    You need to log in on a local admin account (create one if it does not exist already), delete your user account (Danny) and then rename the danch_000 folder to danny.old (I do this only so that you do not lose any data you may have already saved here. it is just a backup folder now)

     

    then Create a new LOCAL user called Danny. Log into this user account and all the files will be under C:\Users\Danny.

     

    Now you must go to pc settings and choose switch to Microsoft account.

     

    Once the process is finished, you are using a Microsoft Live account, with the 'User' Displayed as your full name, but all the files are in a directory named 'Danny'

     

    If this is too summarized for you and you need detailed instructions just post here and tell me, I am in the process of creating a guide for just this issue for my coworkers

     

    Yrs Red

     

    Hi Red, I was wondering if you ever did finish that guide? I have a similar problem and more detailed instructions would be very helpful.

    Details of my problem: I setup Windows 8 using a newly created Microsoft Account. I changed my name in the Microsoft account, from say "John-Doe" to "JD," and my username in Windows 8 changed to match that. I then decided I did not want to use a Microsoft Account to log in, and I switched my Microsoft account to a local account. I just noticed that my username (JD) does not match the directory of my user folder, which still uses the original name associated with the Microsoft account:  C:\Users\John-Doe. 

    Would greatly appreciate more detailed instructions to remedy this problem. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-17T04:47:39+00:00

    I found registry file downloads that fixes it in a second. Its a MS bug as I said that came with a MS update in the past few weeks. I have no idea why people who say they are experts suggest "fixes" like this that involve administrative privileges when we say we are the only user, the admin, and can see we have full rights to folders. You are giving us a canned answer which makes no sense.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-20T22:43:22+00:00

    Ok dude... this is a hassle but it does work.

     

    Summary:

    You need to log in on a local admin account (create one if it does not exist already), delete your user account (Danny) and then rename the danch_000 folder to danny.old (I do this only so that you do not lose any data you may have already saved here. it is just a backup folder now)

     

    then Create a new LOCAL user called Danny. Log into this user account and all the files will be under C:\Users\Danny.

     

    Now you must go to pc settings and choose switch to Microsoft account.

     

    Once the process is finished, you are using a Microsoft Live account, with the 'User' Displayed as your full name, but all the files are in a directory named 'Danny'

     

    If this is too summarized for you and you need detailed instructions just post here and tell me, I am in the process of creating a guide for just this issue for my coworkers

     

    Yrs Red

     

    Hi Red, I was wondering if you ever did finish that guide? I have a similar problem and more detailed instructions would be very helpful.

    Details of my problem: I setup Windows 8 using a newly created Microsoft Account. I changed my name in the Microsoft account, from say "John-Doe" to "JD," and my username in Windows 8 changed to match that. I then decided I did not want to use a Microsoft Account to log in, and I switched my Microsoft account to a local account. I just noticed that my username (JD) does not match the directory of my user folder, which still uses the original name associated with the Microsoft account:  C:\Users\John-Doe. 

    Would greatly appreciate more detailed instructions to remedy this problem. Thank you!

    Just letting you know that I managed to solve the problem following your response as a guide. I just created a new account and deleted my old one, simpler than I thought it would be, since I just want to use a local account. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-23T21:31:32+00:00

    Could you post the MS update with the registry file download that fixes this?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments