Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Anonymous
2012-11-05T02:40:10+00:00

My current username in Windows 8 is Danny.  The directory of my user folder is C:\Users\danch_000 .  This is annoying and driving me crazy.  I should also tell you this user is tied to my Microsoft Account.  On my Microsoft Account my Name is Danny.  How can I change the name of the folder without messing anything up in he registry or any other part of the computer.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-11-09T14:33:16+00:00

Ok dude... this is a hassle but it does work.

Summary:

You need to log in on a local admin account (create one if it does not exist already), delete your user account (Danny) and then rename the danch_000 folder to danny.old (I do this only so that you do not lose any data you may have already saved here. it is just a backup folder now)

then Create a new LOCAL user called Danny. Log into this user account and all the files will be under C:\Users\Danny.

Now you must go to pc settings and choose switch to Microsoft account.

Once the process is finished, you are using a Microsoft Live account, with the 'User' Displayed as your full name, but all the files are in a directory named 'Danny'

If this is too summarized for you and you need detailed instructions just post here and tell me, I am in the process of creating a guide for just this issue for my coworkers

Yrs Red

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-05T21:55:43+00:00

    Hi,

    Follow the steps to change the user account name and see if that helps.

    a) Press Windows + W key

    b) Type User Account and click on User Account from the search

    c) Click on Manage Account

    d) Click on change the account name

    e) Rename it and see if that helps.

    Note: You can only rename a local account not a Microsoft account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-05T21:58:09+00:00

    Please someone answer this.  It's maddening!  Before I go any further setting this thing up, I want a nice neat folder name for my user account.  I want Mike (like my login) not micha_000!  I suspect it's because the thing first fired up with my account linked to MS, and I very soon switched to a Local Account, but the folder name has retained some mashed-up version of my email address.  I want it to be Mike... please!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-05T22:20:49+00:00

    I'm afraid that changing the account name doesn't help. It does not change the actual folder name.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-11-05T23:44:54+00:00

    Anyone with any idea how to fix the folder name?  Perhaps I just shouldn't have admitted to having an MS account during the setup procedure and a local account with a sensible folder name would have been created in the first place.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments