Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Anonymous
2012-11-05T02:40:10+00:00

My current username in Windows 8 is Danny.  The directory of my user folder is C:\Users\danch_000 .  This is annoying and driving me crazy.  I should also tell you this user is tied to my Microsoft Account.  On my Microsoft Account my Name is Danny.  How can I change the name of the folder without messing anything up in he registry or any other part of the computer.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-11-09T14:33:16+00:00

Ok dude... this is a hassle but it does work.

Summary:

You need to log in on a local admin account (create one if it does not exist already), delete your user account (Danny) and then rename the danch_000 folder to danny.old (I do this only so that you do not lose any data you may have already saved here. it is just a backup folder now)

then Create a new LOCAL user called Danny. Log into this user account and all the files will be under C:\Users\Danny.

Now you must go to pc settings and choose switch to Microsoft account.

Once the process is finished, you are using a Microsoft Live account, with the 'User' Displayed as your full name, but all the files are in a directory named 'Danny'

If this is too summarized for you and you need detailed instructions just post here and tell me, I am in the process of creating a guide for just this issue for my coworkers

Yrs Red

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-03T03:26:01+00:00

    I went about it slightly differently with the same results

    1. Create local admin account.
    2. Convert your account to a local account.
    3. Control Panel -> User Account -> Rename My Account.
    4. Reboot into safe mode. -> Login as temp local account previously created.
    5. Right Click old user folder and rename.
    6. Regeit.exe -> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WIndowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    7. Find SID that has the ProfileImagePath key set to old folder name and rename it to new folder name.
    8. Reboot.
    9. Sign in to your account and convert back to Microsoft Account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-11-07T19:51:52+00:00

    I have a photos saved on my desktop and desperately want to change the name- it's titled PantieShot and i'll be sharing my computer. PLZ- tell me how to rename this. Yes, ironic that it's the name not the photo that's embarrassing but someone help, pretty plz??

    Oh my god- now I see it's gonna show up when I post something, too!!! This Windows 8 is difficult for me- plus is a brand new comp I got, HP Envy 15 Touch. I think I need to change my User profile pic to fis this, so that's under control. But still- how to change the Photo's NAME!!!!?????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-05T01:48:05+00:00

    Worked like a charm. Thanks so much for the advice!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-08-17T00:41:45+00:00

    Ok dude... this is a hassle but it does work.

     

    Summary:

    You need to log in on a local admin account (create one if it does not exist already), delete your user account (Danny) and then rename the danch_000 folder to danny.old (I do this only so that you do not lose any data you may have already saved here. it is just a backup folder now)

     

    then Create a new LOCAL user called Danny. Log into this user account and all the files will be under C:\Users\Danny.

     

    Now you must go to pc settings and choose switch to Microsoft account.

     

    Once the process is finished, you are using a Microsoft Live account, with the 'User' Displayed as your full name, but all the files are in a directory named 'Danny'

     

    If this is too summarized for you and you need detailed instructions just post here and tell me, I am in the process of creating a guide for just this issue for my coworkers

     

    Yrs Red

     

    Even as of August 16, 2013, these instructions worked flawlessly! Thank you so much! I don't have to ignore this problem or pretend not be bothered by it anymore! Well done!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments