Windows 8 User Folder Rename

Anonymous
2012-11-05T02:40:10+00:00

My current username in Windows 8 is Danny.  The directory of my user folder is C:\Users\danch_000 .  This is annoying and driving me crazy.  I should also tell you this user is tied to my Microsoft Account.  On my Microsoft Account my Name is Danny.  How can I change the name of the folder without messing anything up in he registry or any other part of the computer.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-11-09T14:33:16+00:00

Ok dude... this is a hassle but it does work.

Summary:

You need to log in on a local admin account (create one if it does not exist already), delete your user account (Danny) and then rename the danch_000 folder to danny.old (I do this only so that you do not lose any data you may have already saved here. it is just a backup folder now)

then Create a new LOCAL user called Danny. Log into this user account and all the files will be under C:\Users\Danny.

Now you must go to pc settings and choose switch to Microsoft account.

Once the process is finished, you are using a Microsoft Live account, with the 'User' Displayed as your full name, but all the files are in a directory named 'Danny'

If this is too summarized for you and you need detailed instructions just post here and tell me, I am in the process of creating a guide for just this issue for my coworkers

Yrs Red

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-27T15:22:57+00:00

    hey,

    can u tell me in a easy wording...i don't understand....Please.

    thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-24T22:13:41+00:00

    Ok dude... this is a hassle but it does work.

    Summary:

    You need to log in on a local admin account (create one if it does not exist already), delete your user account (Danny) and then rename the danch_000 folder to danny.old (I do this only so that you do not lose any data you may have already saved here. it is just a backup folder now)

    then Create a new LOCAL user called Danny. Log into this user account and all the files will be under C:\Users\Danny.

    Now you must go to pc settings and choose switch to Microsoft account.

    Once the process is finished, you are using a Microsoft Live account, with the 'User' Displayed as your full name, but all the files are in a directory named 'Danny'

    If this is too summarized for you and you need detailed instructions just post here and tell me, I am in the process of creating a guide for just this issue for my coworkers

    Yrs Red

    Hi, Red,

    In an effort to resolve an internal microphone problem, Dell techs reset my computer back to the initial factory load of MS (Dell XPS, Windows 8.1).  I had backed up my user data to an external drive and restored it after the reset.   After the restore, I had difficulty finding all of my data and I realized that I have now have two user accounts and I need only one.  I moved all of the data to the newer user account (the one that was generated after the system reset) and I would like to rename that user account and delete the one that came over with the restore.  I am thinking that the detailed instructions that you mentioned above would help me.  How might I be able to access that information.  Thanks in advance!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-02T00:02:32+00:00

    Nope, I signed up with gmail and I got the same stupid automatically named folder. And to make matters worse, I just changed away from gmail to outlook, but it is impossible to change your email account name (which is also incredibly annoying) once you sign up. So, my account name is wrong as well. I'm not even going to attempt to correct my account info with Microsoft. It's like pulling teeth, and you get transferred to 5 different departments that tell you they're not the department that handles that issue.

    I created a new user in my computer with my outlook email. The good news is my name comes up as my user name (which I don't prefer, but it's better than my email), but the bad news is I can't access any of my folders or really do anything useful with it. I don't understand why Windows won't let users customize their computers anymore and name folders how they want. I guess it's one more step toward the one-size-fits-all approach that Apple takes. So long, individual preference!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-05-01T13:51:04+00:00

    In the first place, this issue shouldn't exists. Microsoft should fire the darn engineer who wrote this part of the code.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments