Windows Update will not work, getting error 80244004

Anonymous
2012-06-10T19:35:45+00:00

Windows update will not work the error is 80244004

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-19T16:27:12+00:00

This is the top search when googling 80244004.

Through searching the web I noticed everyone with this specific error was using eset, and so was I. One person even uninstalled eset and that fixed it, but that is not an option for me.

Go into ESET Advanced Setup

Web and email -> Web access and antiphishing protection -> HTTP,HTTPS

HTTPS scanner setup -> HTTPS filtering mode

Select "Do not use HTTPS protocol checking"

You may need to restart, but that is the only thing that got windows update to work for me. The automated fix tool, resetting windows update, reinstalling windows update, and all the other normal stuff didn't when I got 80244004.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-12T17:29:53+00:00

Hi Kevm307,

1.        When exactly do you receive the error code?

2.        Have you made any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

You may follow this link & check if it helps.

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues

Refer: You cannot install updates from Windows Update, Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Update after a repair install of Windows XP or after you install Windows XP SP3 immediately after a clean install of Windows XP SP2

Hope the information helps.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-06-07T15:34:40+00:00

    I was getting this error with XP Pro and did not have Eset.  I finally got it working.

    I uninstalled "Microsoft update" and went back to "Windows update".  They way I did this was I went to the update home page, clicked on the update options link on the left side, checked or unchecked(cant remember) the box pertaining to "Microsoft update".  It unistalled, then I went back to the update home page and it reinstalled windows update.  It worked fine after this.  I am writing this from memory but it was basically along those lines.

    Resetting Internet explorer didnt work, uninstalling and reinstalling internet explorer didnt work and disable firewall didint work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-08-27T04:15:00+00:00

    Also the same situation with Windows 7 Pro.  I use MSE instead of ESET to defence virus, since the latest sucessful update at mid of July, error code 0x80244004 puzzled me by now.

    I solve it as below:

      1. disable to 'receive other soft update' option at {control panel -> system & security -> Windows update}.

      2. restart service wuauserv and bits

      3. manually check windows update.

      4. to receive other soft update again, open IE,choose 'windows update' menu item, follow wizard steps to enable auto update other soft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-09-17T17:08:40+00:00

    Hi Jacob,

    Your instructions here helped me solve my issue. I run Vista but I performed similar steps to you and my windows updater works again. Thanks for setting out your solution for us to use. Good job.

    I posted my initial problem (Titled "Windows (Vista) can't check for updates, error code 80244004") and Nirmal S. redirected me to your solution. So also thanks to Nirmal S.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows\_vista-windows\_update/windows-vista-cant-check-for-updates-error-code/26b9d839-e4a9-4363-b788-4bd61334556b

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments