Windows Update will not work, getting error 80244004

Anonymous
2012-06-10T19:35:45+00:00

Windows update will not work the error is 80244004

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-19T16:27:12+00:00

This is the top search when googling 80244004.

Through searching the web I noticed everyone with this specific error was using eset, and so was I. One person even uninstalled eset and that fixed it, but that is not an option for me.

Go into ESET Advanced Setup

Web and email -> Web access and antiphishing protection -> HTTP,HTTPS

HTTPS scanner setup -> HTTPS filtering mode

Select "Do not use HTTPS protocol checking"

You may need to restart, but that is the only thing that got windows update to work for me. The automated fix tool, resetting windows update, reinstalling windows update, and all the other normal stuff didn't when I got 80244004.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-12T17:29:53+00:00

Hi Kevm307,

1.        When exactly do you receive the error code?

2.        Have you made any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

You may follow this link & check if it helps.

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues

Refer: You cannot install updates from Windows Update, Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Update after a repair install of Windows XP or after you install Windows XP SP3 immediately after a clean install of Windows XP SP2

Hope the information helps.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-23T13:26:08+00:00

    merci a toi DevekY ça a marcher, effectivement mauvais réglage d'Eset aprés sa mise a jour. 

    A+

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-22T17:53:36+00:00

    Thanks. THANKS!!! THANK YOU!! This error was really **** me off. I couldnt figure out how to fix it, I just wish I would of looked at your post 2 days sooner. I turned this simple fix into a complex event. UGH. It was Eset causing the problem. So now do I go back and un check the Do not use HTTPS protocol checking box? I ask because it was never a problem having the box un checked (clear) until now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-22T09:23:10+00:00

    thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks it did it like a magic

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments