Windows Update will not work, getting error 80244004

Anonymous
2012-06-10T19:35:45+00:00

Windows update will not work the error is 80244004

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-19T16:27:12+00:00

This is the top search when googling 80244004.

Through searching the web I noticed everyone with this specific error was using eset, and so was I. One person even uninstalled eset and that fixed it, but that is not an option for me.

Go into ESET Advanced Setup

Web and email -> Web access and antiphishing protection -> HTTP,HTTPS

HTTPS scanner setup -> HTTPS filtering mode

Select "Do not use HTTPS protocol checking"

You may need to restart, but that is the only thing that got windows update to work for me. The automated fix tool, resetting windows update, reinstalling windows update, and all the other normal stuff didn't when I got 80244004.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-12T17:29:53+00:00

Hi Kevm307,

1.        When exactly do you receive the error code?

2.        Have you made any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

You may follow this link & check if it helps.

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues

Refer: You cannot install updates from Windows Update, Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Update after a repair install of Windows XP or after you install Windows XP SP3 immediately after a clean install of Windows XP SP2

Hope the information helps.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-31T22:31:29+00:00

    what that ESSET means, that were those LETTERS come from, which words, or is it a name for a program!? and where i can find this ESSET Advanced Setup or something, like were in my Computer or from Online = Internet!? i can't find it any were of my Computers and i have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit! is that only on the Windows 8 and 8.1 or at least on the Windows 10 Systems and that's why i can't or is that seperate program which is able to download even to my Windows 7 or not!? thanks! God bless you so! love you so! amen!   :   )

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-28T19:20:27+00:00

    siiiiggghhh;

    another MS community thread which doesn't provide answers.  Kuppachi Ravi I would suggest you start another thread making reference to this thread which only provides answers to those using eset.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-28T17:05:39+00:00

    Sir,

    Net Protector has no such filtering mode. I am not using its fire wall. My bits is stopped suddenly in july. Up to june My updates were running. I have Internet problem for more than 20 days and I replaced my router which has wireless facility also. But I am using wired and I Installed it through a CD provided by the D-Link company. Previously my windows update is showing 69 Important and !1 optional updates are available but they never downloaded or installed. After doing trouble shootings microsoft support, Now my system is showing "windows could not search for updates" Error code:80244004. Kindly help me in this regard. I am trying various options since 10 days, but problem was not solved.

    Kindly help me

    ravi

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments