Windows Update will not work, getting error 80244004

Anonymous
2012-06-10T19:35:45+00:00

Windows update will not work the error is 80244004

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-19T16:27:12+00:00

This is the top search when googling 80244004.

Through searching the web I noticed everyone with this specific error was using eset, and so was I. One person even uninstalled eset and that fixed it, but that is not an option for me.

Go into ESET Advanced Setup

Web and email -> Web access and antiphishing protection -> HTTP,HTTPS

HTTPS scanner setup -> HTTPS filtering mode

Select "Do not use HTTPS protocol checking"

You may need to restart, but that is the only thing that got windows update to work for me. The automated fix tool, resetting windows update, reinstalling windows update, and all the other normal stuff didn't when I got 80244004.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-12T17:29:53+00:00

Hi Kevm307,

1.        When exactly do you receive the error code?

2.        Have you made any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

You may follow this link & check if it helps.

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues

Refer: You cannot install updates from Windows Update, Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Update after a repair install of Windows XP or after you install Windows XP SP3 immediately after a clean install of Windows XP SP2

Hope the information helps.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-28T15:31:30+00:00

    ravi,

    i am not familiar with NetProtector, but here's an approach to try

    see if you can find "learning mode" in Net Protector.

    set filtering mode to "learning"

    it will learn to allow communication with windows update

    in learning mode, you should see a pop up asking if you wish to "allow" communication

    with Windows Update

    after selecting "allow", you can then go back & set your filtering mode to "automatic"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-28T14:06:33+00:00

    Sir,

    I am not using ESET. What I have to do to resolve this problem. Kindly suggest.

    ravi

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-28T12:59:16+00:00

    Sir

     I am getting same problem, but I am not using ESET. How can I rectify?

    Please help me.

    ravi

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments