The "more information" link on a driver update redirects to a different site.

Anonymous
2012-03-14T12:05:44+00:00

Original title : Windows Update "More Information" link broken

Windows Update (in Windows 7 64-bit) notified me of a driver update. I clicked the "More Information" link, and was taken to a webpage at "winqual.microsoft.com". This told me that the site has moved to "sysdev.microsoft.com", and I could find no way to find more information about this driver update.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-23T07:22:22+00:00

    > "I sent Bill and Steve an email, so maybe it'll get fixed now :)"

    While neither Bill nor Steve replied, I did actually receive a response that states:

    "I [the support person] am in contact with the Escalation Support team regarding the issue to have the issue investigated. Please expect a status update from me by the end of this week with status of the request."

    At this time, the more information for the MSSilverlight update still goes to Microsoft.com, and all of the 3rd party driver updates go to a no-real-information, generic support page about the importance of updating drivers.  Not sure if it'll get any better (at least it's not the winqual error page anymore), but we'll see.

    Edit: 3/26/2013 - Another update from the Escalation Support team saying:

    "Thank you for bringing the issue to our attention. We are working with the product group and have found that they have a work item open for the issue and are working to address it.  Although I am not able to provide you with an ETA on the resolution of the issue please be assured it is being addressed."

    To be continued ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-16T10:15:16+00:00

    I believe there is now an official solution available for this from Microsoft -

     

    Upgrade to Windows 8 !

    I originally ended up on this thread months ago when I encountered the problem on... *drum roll* Windows 8 ;)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-03-16T09:52:15+00:00

    I believe there is now an official solution available for this from Microsoft -

    Upgrade to Windows 8 !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-03-16T08:23:48+00:00

    One year later and this site has a new look, but ...

    I just fired up Windows Update on Win7 Ultimate 32bit.  The first update for me is "Security Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB2814124)" from March 12, 2013.  Guess where the "More Information" link on the right side is sending you now?

    To the home Microsoft.com home page!

    Maybe they expect you to type in KB2814124 into the search box?  You will eventually get there with that, but it doesn't help you for many of the other updates.

    I sent Bill and Steve an email, so maybe it'll get fixed now :)

    Edit: I also notice that the 3rd party drivers go to a new generic "Update drivers" page.  Unfortunately, it's not much better than the old winqual site and contains no real information about the update in question.  I guess you could call that a little progress.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-01-20T18:28:50+00:00

    Hi,

     

    Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Contacting the Microsoft Community.

     

    I would have you provide the KB article number as well as the name of the driver update.

     

    Do get back to us and let us know. We will be happy to help.

    What are you, some kind of poorly coded excuse for a Turing test?

    READ THE FOUR PAGE THREAD. This is happening for MULTIPLE driver updates.  This has NOTHING to do with a KB article.

    People are receiving notices in Windows Update that driver updates for (given driver, there are multiple drivers offered) are available.  They click the "More Information" link, and it dead-ends because Microsoft has changed the link.  We end up having no information about said driver updates, and therefore, many of us do not apply them because Microsoft-provided drivers sometimes break things and many of us wish to make an informed decision.

    Your inability to read and comprehend four pages of article makes me think you are lazy, or so busy that your one function is trying to provide Tier-1 answers (also noted by your auto-complete style "Thank you for contacting the Microsoft Contacting the Microsoft Community" such as I'd find in Level-One chat support).

    This is NOT a level-one problem; it's a really bad job of support by Microsoft's Windows and Web divisions, for a current product (Windows 7) that has been going on for approximately a year.  Please either find a technician who actually cares and has the clout to move this problem up the chain to provide real answers, or don't bother replying to the thread; otherwise, you're just another example to me in recent history that Microsoft doesn't care much about its end-user base.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments