The "more information" link on a driver update redirects to a different site.

Anonymous
2012-03-14T12:05:44+00:00

Original title : Windows Update "More Information" link broken

Windows Update (in Windows 7 64-bit) notified me of a driver update. I clicked the "More Information" link, and was taken to a webpage at "winqual.microsoft.com". This told me that the site has moved to "sysdev.microsoft.com", and I could find no way to find more information about this driver update.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-02T21:10:11+00:00

    Problem still exists as of April 2. Hard to believe not a single person at Microsoft has taken notice of this. (Or rather, a single person who both cares and has the power to do anything about it)

    But then I've heard it said (and basically agree), that it's usually better to avoid optional updates (particularly drivers for hardware), because you can't uninstall them as you can with "important" updates. Better to get them directly from the hardware vendor website.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-18T04:16:28+00:00

    It's March 17, and we still don't have a workable solution. Is anyone at Microsoft even reading these questions?  My new computer still has optional drivers  recommended by Windows Update and the "more information" link still misdirects. 

    Please have a technician READ the detailed questions/comments left by the three people who have pointed out the issue and provide a REAL answer, not a lame autoresponse.   Basically, fix your webpage so the links work!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-16T17:50:27+00:00

    Agreed with the other users.. Rohit and other MS support "engineers", please read & comprehend the problem before responding.  Picking out keywords and pasting in generic instructions is NOT helpful.

    That said, in my case, the link is for info on an Intel centrino BT driver update.  The link tries to go here:

    http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20461359

    please put a redirector that can handle these driverid parameters and send users to the correct location on the sysdev.microsoft.com site mentioned in the response page.  I attempted to simply change the URL to this new site w/ the remaining path the same,but no dice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-15T14:34:48+00:00

    I agree with AML that the tech replying does not understand the problem at all. So, here's my experience. 

    3 weeks ago I bought a new computer.  Windows update listed 4 drivers as "important", but gave little information about them.  So I clicked on "more information" and got the same broken link that Winqual has moved. When I clicked on the recommended new link, I was taken to a page that required me to sign in to Windows Live (or something like that) but when I did, it turned out to be a page for developers and without being a developer, I couldn't go forward. It also didn't give any driver info. 

    I also clicked on the "support" link and that was equally useless.  

    The computer I bought 3 weeks ago was defective, so I returned it and got a replacement yesterday.  Again, windows update recommended some driver updates.  Again when I clicked on "more information" I got the same broken link.  You'd think it wouldn't take Microsoft almost a month to realize it's update page has a problem, longer if you consider this tech STILL doesn't understand the problem.

    What I was hoping to see was more information about the suggested drivers, so I can compare it to what I already have installed, like...

    1) Version number,

    2) Manufacture.

    1. System requirement.
    2. Date the driver became available/published/or whatever the term is

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-03-15T13:21:15+00:00

    Please see my responses below (in italics and prefixed "AML").

    ______________________________________________________________________

    Hi,

     

    1. Are you connected on a domain?

    AML: No - can you please explain how that is relevant? 2. Do you get any error message?

    AML: Yes:

    Winqual has moved!

    | Our new home is [**sysdev.microsoft.com**](https://sysdev.microsoft.com/),which you can find at the **Dashboard** tab on<br> the Hardware and Desktop areas of the Windows Dev Center. At the Hardware and Desktop Dashboard, you can continue to:<br><ul><br><li>Certify your hardware and desktop apps for Windows</li><li>Distribute drivers by using Windows Update</li><li>Get reports about your products</li><li>Submit metadata for your device or system</li><li>Use the remote debugging tool</li></ul><br><br>**Please update your bookmarks.** |
    | --- |
    
    1. Was it a failed update? What did it say in the Update History?

    AML: This happens before I try to install the update. You have clearly given me a "stock" response: please read my question again.

     

    Method 1:

    I would suggest you to run the Windows update troubleshooter and check.

    Open the Windows Update troubleshooter

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

    AML: There is no issue with Windows Update per se, it's just that this link points to a dead address!

     

    Method 2:

    If the issue does not get resolved then I suggest you to go through the steps and run the automated FIXIT from the link mentioned below:

    Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Troubleshoot-problems-with-installing-updates

    Also refer:

    You cannot install some updates or programs

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

    AML: I don't have a problem installing updates, just viewing information about them!

    Method 3:

    Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly Update drivers: recommended links http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Update-drivers-recommended-links

     

    If it was a video card driver I would suggest you to go directly to the manufacturer’s website to get it.

    AML: Again, I don't have any issues with the update itself, just the "More Information" link.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments