Error code 641 and code 80070641?

Anonymous
2012-05-23T15:10:07+00:00

When attempting to download updates I get an error message that indicates code 641 and code 80070641?  What does this mean?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-01T18:16:21+00:00

Hi,

   I use Vista Business Service Pack 2.  I also use System Mechanic Pro for registry cleaning and other repairs.  Sorry, not sure which green button I needed to unmark-can you let me know?

 

Thanks!

The very topmost one.  Assuming you had marked Answer before, then click the UNMARK green icon to clear it (first).

Windows update exception code 0x00000641 / 0x80070641 usually indicates an issue with the Windows Installer service.

Sometimes it is due to a difficulty in accessing it; sometimes it means it's missing, or inactive (disabled) for some reason.

If you have used Iolo System Mechanic for automated (auto-fix) runs, and have these exception codes, the cause is an overagressive fix by this app.

First suggestion is to Undo recent fixes by S M, then insure it's not set to autorun or autofix.

Do NOT keep using System Mechanic until there is a permanent fix from Iolo.

Contact Iolo support (iolo.com)

and demand a permanent fix.

System Mechanic "registry cleaning" has put a double whammy on your system in having removed two registry keys.

The following will put things back in order for the registry {at least for the Installer service}, so that you can then proceed to redo Windows Update.

This are for VISTA systems <<<---

Download this file from Ramesh S http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/regfix\_vista.zip

Save it to your DESKTOP.

EXtract the contents to your DESKTOP.

go to Start, type in

REGEDIT and press Enter-key

from main menu, select File

then select IMPORT

navigate the dialog (click on DESKTOP icon on left to select it)

type in regfix_vista.reg in the Filename text-box and click Open button.

Once the merge is complete, you will see a confirmation message.

Click OK when done.

Next, get this second registry-fix

Download and SAVE to your system (to the Desktop or a unique folder) the following registry-fix file

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/win-services/vista/msiserver.reg

Do a RIGHT-Click on msiserver.reg file and select MERGE

Allow it to merge into the registry.

If prompted by UAC User Account Control, allow to proceed.

IF and only if, the Merge option is not available, then double-click on the file and allow it to merge into the registry.

IF and ".reg" file pops up in REGEDIT, when prompted whether to Merge answer Yes.

When done with the two registry fixes, Exit / close REGEDIT.

then Logoff and Restart Windows fresh.

Now, retry Windows Update in a new run.

Just only do a Custom scan.

select just the Critical or Important updates. (un-select any optional ones).

Let me know if this helps. and if so, kindly click the green YES (Helpful) icon to the left.

If this solves your issue, kindly click on green MARK It icon on the right.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-06T03:46:46+00:00

    Maurice,

    The saga continues.  With your instructions I successfully logged on as Administrator, stopped Windows Update, then deleted the contents of Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download, and rebooted my computer.  The end result was no different.  The same 11 updates were downloaded, then failed to install.

    However, there was a difference.  Two new Windows Update error codes appeared this time: 80070002 and 80246007.  I followed the instructions for 80070002, stopping Windows Update, this time through Administratiave Tools, Services.  I then went  to Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore and deleted the files and folders in the folder.  This was the new step which you had not included in your instructions.  Then I again deleted the files in the Download folder,started Windows Update and rebooted.

    The same thing happened again.  The 11 updates downloaded and then failed to install.  The error codes reverted to the old ones provided days ago, 641 and 80070641.

    I also followed the  error code 80246007 instructions and found that the Background Intelligent Transfer Services was properly set at Automatic (Delayed Start) and that the service is started.  Along the way I lost my internet connection and followed the 8024402C instructions to reactivate "Automatically detect LAN settings."  This reconnected me to the internet.

    I did receive one new update for Microsoft Windows this morning (6/5/12) before I attempted the above fixes.  I hope new updates will continue to be downloaded and installed.

    I hope you have some other ideas about how to handle the 11 downloads that failed on 5/13 and, after all this, continue to try to install every time I boot up my computer.

    Thank you for your help.

    John Gunning

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-06T10:51:48+00:00

    Exception codes x641 and 80070641 mean that the Windows installer service is nor running.

    You still have System Mechanic:  are you super-duper positive Iolo has fixed all their issues?

    Has that app run in the past week or so??

    I can almost guarantee your installer service is out of "commission".

    It looks as if you have a missing Windows service (one or more). Which {normally} would be a clue & warning that you may have a malware infection and if so, that has to be hunted and corrected before you even try any Windows Update.

    Go to Start >> select Control Panel >> and go to Action Center or Security Center (as appropos)

    What does it show for antivirus status?

    What does it show for Firewall status ?

    What does it show for Automatic Updates?

    Did you or any other user of the system "disable any Windows services" ?

    When was the last time you scanned your system with your antivirus program and security app (if you have another anti-malware) ?

    Often enough, a failed Windows update is really an end-result from a malware infection.

    NEXT:  Check for missing or disabled Windows services, by doing the following, and post detailed results when done !!

    From Start button, select RUN  (or Win-key +R) and in the run-text-box type in MSCONFIG and press OK or Enter.

    On Vista or Windows 7, press Windows-key on keybooard, and type in MSCONFIG

     You should see the General tab. Click the General tab.  It should have Normal startup selected (in the radio-box=selection)

    IF it does not, then you click on Normal startup.

    Click on Services tab.  To get it's display of services.

    Keep a written list of any changes from my list of services below. That way you and I have a reference document.

    Look at the bottom line Hide all Microsoft services

    IF and only IF its is checkmarked, then un-check it.

    the list of servies may be shown in non-alphabetical order, so ....

    Look at the heading titled "Service". Click on it as needed so the list is sorted and top of list starts with the "A" services.

    You can toggle as needed to get the desired order.

    IF any of below services are NOT shown, don't panic & do not stop, just write down the info for me and proceed with the others !

    Then using the scroll-bar scroll down the list

    Look for Ipsec Policy Agent.  Is it shown?  Is it checked?  If not, click on that checkbox to checkmark.

    Look for Remote Procedure Call (RPC).  Is it shown ?  Is it checked? If not, click on that checkbox to checkmark.

    Look for RPC Endpoint Mapper.  Is it shown ?  Is it checked? If not, click on that checkbox to checkmark.

    Look for Windows Firewall.  Is it shown ?  Is it checked? If not, click on that checkbox to checkmark.

    Look for Windows Management Instrumentation.  Is it shown ?  Is it checked? If not, click on that checkbox to checkmark.

    Look for Windows Installer service.  Is it shown ?  Is it checked? If not, click on that checkbox to checkmark.

    Look for Windows Update.  Is it shown ?  Is it checked? If not, click on that checkbox to checkmark.

    When done, press the Apply button, and the OK button.

    You're likely to be prompted to Restart Windows, do so.

    If not prompted, you do a Logoff and Restart of Windows.

    Then report back here with details.

    If any of the services are not shown, just let me know which.

    Note: while a copy of this post may appear in your email, always go by what is shown on the actual MS Answers forum online (screen), because sometimes last-minute or late updates are made online.

    ~ Maurice

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-06T22:55:06+00:00

    Maurice, I will answer your questions and instructions in the order you placed them.

    I still have System Mechanic but have not run it in several weeks. I certainly am not super-duper positive about anything with regard to System Mechanic, but the update did seem to improve after I permitted a program update last week.

    With respect to the Security Center:

    Antivirus status: McAfee Anti-virus and Anti-spyware report being up to date and virus scanning is on. Window Defender reports it is turned on.

    Firewall status. McAfee Firewall is on.

    Automatic updates: On

    My wife and I have not disabled any Windows services.

    I regularly use McAfee Anti-virus and Windows Defender to scan my computer. I used both of them today to do full scans and they reported no problems detected.

    With regard to "Services:" "Hide all Microsoft Services" was not checked.

    All Services under System Configuration were checked. 103 of them are running now, and 65 are stopped. I don't know if this is meaningful information.

    You asked me to check on seven services.

    RPC Endpoint Mapper and Windows Installer are not shown.

    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is checked, but stopped

    The other four are checked and running.

    The apply button did not activate since I made no changes.  I clicked ok, then closed all programs and rebooted.

    I look forward to your next instruction.  Thanks.

    John Gunning

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-06-07T03:02:13+00:00

    John,

    Your report that the Windows Installer service is not showing "cinches" the certainty that it's missing from current control set registry entry.  Most probable cause is due to a "registry cleaner" utility  (so-called).

    See my reply marked as Answer here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows\_vista-windows\_update/i-cannot-download-the-new-updates-from-may-8-2012/b9b4a982-5b4d-4218-8a47-917515ede136

    Appy the two registry "fixes" and follow the steps as outlined.

    Let me knwo results afterward.

    ~ Maurice

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments