I can't get my wlmp file to open in Movie Maker

Anonymous
2012-11-23T09:23:41+00:00

Original title: I can't get my wlmp file to open in windows live media player

I was making a video earlier today for a client and saved it as an unfinished wlmp file onto a memory stick.

I have tried to open it on my home computer and it is saying that the file isn't compatible with the version of windows live movie maker I have.

"Sorry, Windows Movie Maker can't open this product file. the file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file.


Sorry, this project can't be opened because it was created in a version of Windows Live Movie Maker that isn't compatible with this current version


How can I open this project in Windows Live Movie Maker?"

(The underlined bit had a link - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/movie-maker-the-project-cant-be-opened )

I then tried loading two old versions of windows movie maker, and it wouldn't load on those either.... I am at my wits end - I spent hours on this video and don't want to have to start over entirely.

I can't find a codec, I can't find an old version of windows live movie maker, and I can't find any way to salvage the project. Even if I had a way to turn the project to a video file I would be happy with, but nothing is working.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-26T11:59:03+00:00

    I need help on 2 files, but I don't know how to upload them to u wlmp is not allow on this reply I think

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-26T12:01:46+00:00

    Hello,

    For us to better assist you, I have provided a private message where you can upload the project file that has been corrupted. We will try to fix the project file if it can be recovered. Note that you need to be signed in to view the private message. Afterwards, reply back to this public thread.

    Thank you.

    I don't know how to upload the wlmps to u sir, I need someone to help me fix those 2 files plz

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-26T15:09:24+00:00

    Given that Microsoft stopped supporting Windows Movie Maker as of January 10, 2017, it's not likely they are responding to support requests to fix corrupted project files.

    Windows Essentials reached end of life on January 10, 2017

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-27T09:33:39+00:00

    You have to convert the file to compatible format in order to open it in movie maker, there's a few different converting apps that you can download online, some even for free. Hope this answers your question? ;-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-01-27T13:07:46+00:00

    Like what free app ur talking about ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments