I can't get my wlmp file to open in Movie Maker

Anonymous
2012-11-23T09:23:41+00:00

Original title: I can't get my wlmp file to open in windows live media player

I was making a video earlier today for a client and saved it as an unfinished wlmp file onto a memory stick.

I have tried to open it on my home computer and it is saying that the file isn't compatible with the version of windows live movie maker I have.

"Sorry, Windows Movie Maker can't open this product file. the file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file.


Sorry, this project can't be opened because it was created in a version of Windows Live Movie Maker that isn't compatible with this current version


How can I open this project in Windows Live Movie Maker?"

(The underlined bit had a link - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/movie-maker-the-project-cant-be-opened )

I then tried loading two old versions of windows movie maker, and it wouldn't load on those either.... I am at my wits end - I spent hours on this video and don't want to have to start over entirely.

I can't find a codec, I can't find an old version of windows live movie maker, and I can't find any way to salvage the project. Even if I had a way to turn the project to a video file I would be happy with, but nothing is working.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-25T17:29:56+00:00

    @Sidney,

    To open a prior project you use File > Open project.  You can also use the Recent projects list under the File menu.  The project file contains the editing state of your project so that you can make further edits. The project file is not a video/movie per se.  But you can use it to create your movie, when you like the edits.  To do this, you use File > Save movie as mentioned earlier.  

    The resulting file is an audio/video file that can be viewed in Media Player, uploaded to a video sharing site, etc.  You could also then use that edited movie as a part of another movie maker project.  You should be able to use your method of opening a project and adding the saved movie.

    In summary:

    • You use File > Open project to open project files (.wlmp)
    • You use File > Save project to save project files (.wlmp)
    • To save as a movie, use File > Save movie which will create a movie file (.mp4 or .wmv)
    • To add that movie into another project, use Home > Add videos and photos (.mp4 or .wmv)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-11-04T03:00:42+00:00

    I can't get my wlmp file to open in windows live media player

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-11-27T10:04:36+00:00

    Hi MVP Sir or any Lord...i had made a photo-movie in Windows Live Movie Maker with .wlmp file saved. I used to open and edit but now after all the work was finished i tried to save project but it stopped around 50% displaying some messages which i didn't gave a good look. Thought my laptop might got hang and restarted it but to my shockness that .wlmp file can't get open displaying blank sheet with message "Sorry, Movie Maker can't open this project file. The file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file."

    Please help me recover my project. But other projects will open without any fuss.

    My onedrive link is, https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=651252CBD886C1DA%21139

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-03T07:31:47+00:00

    I have the same exact program.  I uploaded my vid into OneDrive.  Here is the link:

    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A2122074730C6C9E%21108

    Could somebody look it over and see if they can help me also.

    Thanks!

    Craig Packham

    ******@yahoo.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-05-12T21:21:28+00:00

    Okay guys, help me out here.

    I don't want all the questions about files and all that after posting this, just the answer or the solution to my problem. 

    • I got Windows Live Movie Maker 2012 and it's the updated latest version: 16.4.3528.0331.

    I got windows 8 on my computer and the compality settings or what you call it is set to Windows 8 and I have tried both in Windows 7, 8 and Vista.

    My problem is that I have a long file: 26 Min full edited, done and ready to be saved. But I can't save. It stops halfways and sometimes a little bit less and sometimes a little bit further than 50%. But it stops, so same problem as a lot of other people. You really should fix this bug, not just for me, but make a version 2013 or something. It sucks. But anyway I am not here to be angry, I want a solution. Would you please help me. My file consist a lot of clips that I have edited together and it's 26 min long, I click save to HD and it stops. I can't upload to Facebook, Youtube or any other social media if I can't save it. And yes I can watch the file (not the movie) the wlmp file in the Video folder and yes I can also find the originally clips that I recorded on my computer, so the clips or files are not broken, curupt or anything, everything works fine, execpt when I need to save. And yes I have downloaded the Mediainfo 0.7.73 to see if that was the problem. And yes I can close the computer, restart it, get back a few days later and still open it in the program, I just can't freakin' save it and make it to a actually movie. 

    So...you got all the informations, so no questions please, just come with the solution since I have been using 2 month on this stupid file now and I wont lose over 8 hours filming and editing just because your program can't save 26 min. Help me out here. What shall I do. Can you fix it for me? Can I send it to you???

    Alexander Obitz

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments