I can't get my wlmp file to open in Movie Maker

Anonymous
2012-11-23T09:23:41+00:00

Original title: I can't get my wlmp file to open in windows live media player

I was making a video earlier today for a client and saved it as an unfinished wlmp file onto a memory stick.

I have tried to open it on my home computer and it is saying that the file isn't compatible with the version of windows live movie maker I have.

"Sorry, Windows Movie Maker can't open this product file. the file might not be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker or be corrupted. Please select a different project file.


Sorry, this project can't be opened because it was created in a version of Windows Live Movie Maker that isn't compatible with this current version


How can I open this project in Windows Live Movie Maker?"

(The underlined bit had a link - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/movie-maker-the-project-cant-be-opened )

I then tried loading two old versions of windows movie maker, and it wouldn't load on those either.... I am at my wits end - I spent hours on this video and don't want to have to start over entirely.

I can't find a codec, I can't find an old version of windows live movie maker, and I can't find any way to salvage the project. Even if I had a way to turn the project to a video file I would be happy with, but nothing is working.

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-16T11:53:52+00:00

    Hi SidneyLok,

    Let me help you with your issue that you cannot open the project file that you have recently save. For us to isolate your issue, kindly enumerate the steps on how you are saving the edited file. Also I created a private message wherein you will provide us additional information needed.

    Please click on You have a private reply to this message link just above your post to view the message. Don't forget to sign in to Microsoft Community Forum to view the link.

    Your cooperation on this matter will be highly appreciated. I look forward to your reply.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-17T10:59:37+00:00

    Hi,

    I have replied on the private message. To view my response, don't forget to sign in to Microsoft Community Forum to view the link.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-18T02:46:14+00:00

    Hello Sidney,

    Yes, you can still use your edited (project) file on your new project that you're making. But, as mentioned earlier, you need to save the project file as a movie file first before you can use it on a different creation in Movie Maker. You should be able to save your video into a movie file by clicking File and choosing Save movie.

    After saving the file into a movie file, you can now use it on your new project file.

    Let us know the results afterwards.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-24T16:29:18+00:00

    Hello,

    Thanks for the instruction. However, I still could not proceed. When I tried to open my project by clicking "Click here to browse for videos and photos", the pop-up message said "MovieMaker doesn't support the selected file type." Thus, I didn't even have an option to save my projects as movies. Do I need to convert my projects into some type of format that would support by MovieMaker in order to open them?

    Thanks,

    Sidney

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-09-25T02:17:55+00:00

    Hello Sidney,

    You can check the files if they are supported in Windows Movie Maker by going to the link below:

    **Movie Maker file types**

    If your files are supported, please ensure that you have the proper codecs to play your videos and audio files – audio and video require codecs to play the file and it’s important to have the right codecs installed or updated in your PC.

    • Try running the Microsoft FixIt tool for codecs: **FixIT**

    - Media info will be able to identify any issue with missing or faulty codecs and whether it's already in your computer or not: **Media Info**

    As for the Mediainfo, please follow the steps provided below on how to use the program:

    1. Download Mediainfo
    2. Install the program
    3. Run the program
    4. Open your movie file using Mediainfo
    5. Switch the view of your mediainfo to text. To do this, click the View button on the upper left part of the window and click text
    6. When you see the codec that you're lacking, please download it. You can search for the codec in **http://bing.com**

    Note: If you can't find the codec you need, try converting the video to a supported format (eg. .wmv for movies, .jpeg/.jpg for photos and .wma for audio) and then add it to your Windows Movie Maker project.

    We'll wait for your response.

    Thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments